Any ways to get apps on an iPod Touch 1G running iOS 3?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by deuk1219, Mar 4, 2012.

1. deuk1219 macrumors member

Hi, I just got an iPod Touch for free and upgraded it to iOS 3, but I can't seem to find any applications on the app store to run on it. Everything even the basics like the weather channel and Facebook requires iOS 4+. What are some essential apps that I can still get, or any ways to work this out?

2. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Is your iPod in good condition? You may want to sell it to a collector and get a fourth-generation iPod touch instead.

Or you could jailbreak and run a certain 3rd party app store that we're not allowed to discuss in here. Said app store contains old versions of apps that still ran on iOS 3.

Or you could install whited00r. I'm not sure if they did anything to allow apps to run but you should research on that.

Personally, I like the first suggestion better but that's just me.

3. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

^Using the third party app store through a jailbreak seems to be the only option. It contains many old versions of plenty of apps.

Selling it wouldn't be a good option, it wouldn't generate a good ROI to buy the 4th gen, plus the 1st gen can function as a good music player and apps are still obtainable.

4. deuk1219 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your replies. I already have an iPhone 4S, so I don't think selling it and getting a new iPod Touch is an option. I just want to know how could I use the iPod Touch 1st generation to its full potential like apps. I guess I will jailbreak it.

5. deijr1238 macrumors newbie

deijr1238

I'm running the newest version (3.1.3 I believe) and was running a few apps with ease as of lately. I use it for a radio at work, with iHeartRadio and Pandora, and up until the last update of iHeartRadio, everything worked great. Now, everytime I open iHeart, the app crashes me back to the home screen. I don't guess there is any way to revert back to that last version of iHeart, is there?

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

There is but it requires a jailbroken device and using the third party app store within Cydia.