Any Wi-Fi owners upgrade today?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JayDH, Apr 30, 2010.

1. JayDH macrumors 6502

I am a happy iPad 32GB Wi-Fi owner. Around 4:30 today I decided that I was going to upgrade to the 32GB 3G. There have been a few times in the past month where I wanted to use/show off my iPad and there was no Wi-Fi to be found. Also, the free Wi-Fi at a few hotels wasn't very reliable. Since I have been using my iPad a lot more than I initially anticipated, I decided that the 3G was the right move. So I went straight to my neighborhood Apple Store and waited in line for my new 3G iPad. There were around 150 people in line but it only took around 30 minutes. So far, i am very happy with my decision. I don't even mind the black strip as much as I thought! Now I just need to get a good price for my Wi-Fi iPad on eBay, haha.

Any other Wi-Fi iPad owners decide to upgrade to the 3G?

2. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Nope, initially I bought a 32 gig WiFi, but upgraded to a 64 gig WiFi. I really have no need for the 3G iPad, plus I already have a iPhone 3Gs.

3. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I did. 32gb wi fi to 32gb 3G

4. potdude macrumors member

No. I tether to my iPhone when I want to use/show off my iPad and there is no Wi-Fi to be found. Most people spend a majority of their time in places such as their homes, businesses, or workplace where WiFi is available. If you ask me spending an extra $130 to "upgrade" + $30 a month for restricted 3G service is a pretty wasteful use of money unless you have a lot of money that you can afford to waste.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Nah. I go out of my way looking for free wifi for the IPad. If I was out of an are and really needed access, I got a 3GS IPhone to cover that. I think if I am worried about hotel access, looking at refurbed Airport Express, for only $79 & hook that up by ethernet to my IPad.

Love my IPad, Plants VS Zombies, and IPad version of Pages.

6. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

What are you doing with the Wi-Fi iPad? eBay? I posted mine but I have a feeling there will be a lot for sale. I'm hoping to get a good price for it!

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yep, returned my 64 GB WiFi for the 64 GB 3G

Most excellent

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Well I sold the 16GB Wifi a couple weeks ago on Craigslist for about break even because I knew I wanted this. I didn't get rid of the Wifi today but I did upgrade today. :cool:

9. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I did. I upgraded to the 3G 64 GB model. I'll either put my 16GB wifi iPad on eBay this weekend or give it to my mother for Mother's Day.

10. vertigo78 macrumors regular

i mainly use mine at home. take it to school and i get wifi there. not a big need. ive got an iphone. i refresh my feeds on newsrack and that gives a lot of reading material if i dont have a connection. instapaper too.

11. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, going to sell it. Probably Ebay

12. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I got the 32gb WiFi last month. I loved it. I got the 32gb 3G today. I really love both of them. I put the wifi version on ebay a few days ago and only a day and a half left, I only have a bid of $450. I am not happy as I see some going around $600. Well i have over a day left. Hopefully i get more bids.

13. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Sure did. Upgraded from a 16GB Wi-Fi to a 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G. I feel liberated.

14. coelacanth macrumors 6502

15. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Drunk post

Good -for all you mofos that exchanged to 3G, good for you. I only use mine at home and at work (got wifi at both). I'm not gonna exchange, but the iPad's so freaking awesome, I might just get a second iPad (3G) for the wifey. :). If she behaves. ;)

16. gibjer macrumors member

17. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I actually ordered both the "WiFi only" and "+3G" versions. But after using the WiFi version with the Sprint 4G Overdrive, I cancelled my order for the 3G.

Different strokes for different folks but I'm very happy with my stroke.

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yep, right now I am typing on my new 3G 64 GB iPad! Back on April 3rd I bought the 64 GB WiFi-only iPad, and immediately fell in love, taking it with me everywhere. After the second time I was in a situation where there was no WiFi available, I was frustrated and realized that my iPhone just wasn't cutting the mustard, especially if I needed to type a response to an email, and it became more and more apparent that I wanted a 3G iPad. Voilà! I have not yet decided what I will do with my WiFi iPad.....may very well end up keeping both. I am a happy camper tonight!

19. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I did as well. I had a 32GB 3G on order from day one, but bought a 16GB Wifi on impulse the day it hit stores. Now I will find a home for it.

20. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like my same situation. After I got used to using the iPad, it became more and more difficult to use a tiny 3.5 inch screen for browsing the web and writing emails.

How was the line at the Tyson's store? I got in line at the Clarendon store around 5:15 and I would estimate around 150 people were in line. Luckily the line moved very fast and only took around 30 minutes. After dinner around 8:30 I checked out the Pentagon City store and there was still a line of around 10 people!

21. MT0227 macrumors 6502

22. f00f macrumors 65816

I upgraded from 64GB Wifi-only to 64GB Wifi+3G. Got the same for my future wife.

I had gone to Genius Bar a few days ago and obtained an authorization to swap my wifi version for a 3G. They couldn't reserve one for me but it didn't matter. I set up another Genius appointment and went in this evening around 8pm. There were tons of iPads in stock and this particular Apple store is one of only a few here on Long Island.

No restocking fee was paid, just the difference between 3G and non-3G. Milage will vary with this sort of swap; my Wifi iPad was clearly AWOL and they presented the swap idea to me as an option.

Happy iPadding!

23. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Got the 16gb wifi on day one. Upgraded today to the 64gb 3G. Was going to take the wifi back for a refund at best buy but now my wife wants it.

Guess we will have two in the house. :)

24. Love Juice macrumors regular

sure did. i'll either sell my 16gb wifi on craigslist or ebay for about cost.

i picked up a 16gb & 2 32gb 3g's today, so the profit i get from the 32gb's will make up the cost for the $130 upgrade :)

i might not even activate the 3g, but its nice to know i can if i want to, along with the gps and the higher resell value next year :))

25. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

I was so close to picking up an extra 3G today to sell on eBay, but in all the excitement, I kinda forgot! I think you'll make a nice little profit from those.