Any Windows All-in-One that have a stylish design?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
So far all All-in-ones Ive seen are ugly compared to an iMac. Isnt anything out there that perhaps has a better design?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
There was one by HP, I believe it was called the Z1. I don't know what your standards for looks are, but the Z1 had a very convenient latching mechanism for opening it up compared to the iMac.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I rather like the look of the Vizio. It has some very disappointing components inside though.

HP's Z1 isn't pretty and isn't trying to be. It's a $4k+ professional workstation designed for easy repair/upgrade.

Tequila UK

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
To be honest, out of any of them the only one that gets any serious consideration from me is the Dell XPS One 27, specifically the i7 model.

There are three problems that I can see:

1. There is no SSD drive (or option for one apart from the 'cache' option) and the 6GB offered in the £1,499 model seems very light for such an application. So I would be going for an upgrade in RAM to 16GB and getting someone to stick an SSD drive inside.

2. The other two issues that I can see are besides the sound (which I'm told is not brilliant on that particular machine so I'll get some headphones) is that the screen is meant to produce rather poor blacks in the sense that they are in fact dark grey rather than black. A video that I saw online made it look like it was quite bad for this.

Does anyone here actually have the XPS One 27 and can advise on that?

The other proposed AIOs in the list all have issues of their own - i.e. not being large as I'd like or having poor resolution (1920x1080 on a 27" monitor seems like very poor form) or plain not being powerful enough.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
I tried to look for other AIO desktops (because of the ridiculous iMac 2012 waiting) but gave up after thinking about leaving OS X - that I just cannot do :(

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
the CPU is pretty powerful in the XPS 27, better than the iMac. Too bad the Graphics and SSD (low capacity) is bad though.

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
So far all All-in-ones Ive seen are ugly compared to an iMac. Isnt anything out there that perhaps has a better design?
Even if there was a nice looking one, it would be running Windows and worse yet, Windows 8 pretty soon.

Why would you want one of those?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Even if there was a nice looking one, it would be running Windows and worse yet, Windows 8 pretty soon.

Why would you want one of those?
I prefer external design over Operational System. It wont be my main computer anyways, just something extra.

JnDRader

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I tried to look for other AIO desktops (because of the ridiculous iMac 2012 waiting) but gave up after thinking about leaving OS X - that I just cannot do :(
Pretty much my thought process. I just finally bit the bullet and ordered a 2011 iMac. Yes, it will be "obsolete" most likely in a couple of months. Oh well. I'm already thrilled with it so shame on me lol.