Any woodworkers/carpenters?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by slipper, Jan 27, 2011.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I decided to take up a woodworking class at the local adult school. Wood working has always interested me after my brief stint in wood shop in junior high (many many moons ago) but the lack of equipment didn't allow me to pursue the interest. Any simple projects you folks could suggest? Also whats a durable/hard/cheap wood i could use for a decorative piece that wont get dented easily? Hopefully i'll have all 10 fingers at the end of this semester. :D

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why not try your hand at a coffee table? You could make the top a simple 4" wide frame with ceramic tiles inset in the middle.

Regarding fingers and chisels:
    "Always remember the Golden Rule: Keep Your Hand Behind The Tool."
    As for wood, go for oak: there's nothing like the smell of a freshly cut piece of oak. Better than coffee. Take care! :)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As an amateur, I'd also recommend not plugging on the power tool until you're ready to use it.

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Woodworking is good for the soul. I've done bookshelves with high end plywood that turned out nicely.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A table seems like a good idea as well as bookshelves. The class sounds like a lot of fun. I want to make a trunk for my living room for blanket storage. Maybe you can do that.