Any woodworkers in here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by npolly0212, Oct 12, 2018.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

just seeing if anyone in here does any woodworking (job or hobby).

I got into making cornhole boards over the past year - can’t afford the tools to make anything else, but can’t wait to get a lathe and such to start turning some stuff!

So if you are, what do you do? Have any work to be seen?

Attached Files:

2. Matz Contributor

Matz

More of carpenter than a woodworker here.

Nice work on the boards!

I do have my eye on some old walnut planks that were put up in the rafters in one of the barns here, and wonder what to do with them. Possibly a furniture piece of some sort, which would definitely make me up my game with respect to working with wood.

I’m sure I’ll figure something out by the time I have my shop set up. I moved in March, and the shop has been relegated to a lower priority than getting the house decluttered, fixing fences, and working full time.

3. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Appreciate it!

Have any pictures of any big projects you’ve done?

I just can’t afford the tools (table saw, chop saw, large, etc.) to be building anything major so once I can save up I plan to!!

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

20 years ago when I first retired I got into woodturning as a hobby and quickly learned there was profit to be made which subsidized my other hobby which was classic mac computers.
    Can't do it anymore due to health issues but still manage to tinker with my classic macpro's.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    DSCN0136.JPG DSCN1073.JPG

Attached Files:

5. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Those are awesome! I love them.

Some great work you do there, and they look absolutely amazing.

I would LOVE to learn to turn stuff but dont have funds to buy a lathe yet, but cant wait to in the future. IT is the number one thing I have seen of peoples works that just make me want to learn it.

6. Matz Contributor

Matz

Sorry, I don’t have any pictures that I can locate. But when I start up again, once the shop is set up, I’ll be taking pics of my projects.

As for tools, carefully inspected used tools can be a reasonable way to go. Cords and motor brushes are pretty easily and inexpensively replaced, if needed. Just a thought.

7. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds good! Hope to see some of it!

Oh I know, I plan to buy used when I can find them, just had a patch of my life last year where I lost everything and am recovering from that with paying everything off first and then will be able to get some tools!

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Yup. I haven't spent much time in the shop lately. This summer has been pure madness for the full time job. But here in a week or so I hope to start hitting some Christmas gifts out. I do pen turning, make custom cajons (Brazilian Box Drums), and looking around I realize I have built more furniture than I give myself credit for!

Tools are easy. The right tools is where it gets trickier! Look up Wood Magazine's Idea Shop 6. They show you how to build a pretty good shop on a limited budget over a period of time. I'm sure you can slow down or speed up to meet your needs.

Personally, space is my issue. My shop is in the basement. I have low ceilings and less room than a one car garage. Makes building cabinets a real pain!

I haven't done much with it, but I started a Facebook page to track my projects - https://www.facebook.com/IlexBottega/

9. jeyf macrumors 65816

10. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will be checking out your Facebook page! Love seeing turning projects so much!

Wish I had a space and the proper tools, but it’ll come over time!

Which saw did you get?

11. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Cool, jeyf!

I started with an Craftsman table saw. Scared me to death cutting sheets of plywood when the saw would start to tip over. A couple years ago I got (thanks to my wife!) a Delta (36-5000, about $600). I didn't realize how much safer I would feel with a heavier saw. My dream is a SawStop, but that will have to wait for a while.