Any word on 64-bit Windows Bootcamp for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adokimus, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I know just a short while back the Mac Pro received a quiet (and to some unimportant) update to its bootcamp drivers, allowing 64-bit versions of XP and Vista to run on a Mac Pro. I was curious if there is any news of this coming to the Macbook Pro, as it is the other "Pro" model in the Apple family. Currently, the MBP only supports 32-bit versions under bootcamp.

Thanks!

2. fireloss macrumors member

I heard that some people had success using the Bootcamp drivers from Mac Pro.

Anyone know if the new MBPs ship with the 64-bit drivers?

3. tranceteria macrumors newbie

Yeah does so mebody knows if it's possible to install a 64bit windows on a macbook pro?

4. phatcat macrumors regular

If it helps, I installed 64bit Vista via VMware. Works.

5. wrightc23 macrumors regular

Yes I've got a fully functional Vista x64 boot camp running. The Mac Pro drivers work and resolve all the Apple hardware issues on x64.

You can download the drivers from BitTorrent. It's a bit annoying that Apple haven't released them as they are clearly intended to support all Apple platforms.

The x64 drivers include iSight, Bluetooth and even the multitouch trackpad.

All you need to do in addition is to download the latest nVidia driver and the network drivers (atheros) for your MBP.

Works really well. Vista x64 is definitely quicker especially when playing the odd game.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It would be really great if people stopped confusing bootcamp with drivers :)

Thread title should be "Any word on apple released 64-bit windows drivers for MPB".

Bootcamp is only a partitioning and driver cd making (does it even do that any more?) program.

The BIOS needed for windows is built into every intel macs firmware and the drivers are totally seperate too.

7. NKA macrumors member

Thanks for the info.

Found the Atheros drivers here

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14833&st=0

I assume the torrent is because the drivers are only on the Mac Pro disk and not on the MacBook Pro disk:(
    I found a torrent for the Mac Pro drivers which was 389 MB. Best not to link but they are easy to find ;)

One question, does Vista x64 resume from Sleep/Hibernate etc. Okay?

Neal

8. wrightc23 macrumors regular

Yes with the x64 MacPro driver base I haven't had a problem with sleep/hibernation where as with the original x86 drivers I had constant sleep issues.

As I have to boot into Vista quite alot for my work I've been really impressed with the way the MBP runs Vista x64. I'm even finding Vista quite useable with SP1. OK it's an overpriced dog of an OS but at least it's fairly stable now.

9. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

wrightc: you should make a write up and give some links to drivers, I know there are a ton of people here, including me that are waiting for 64 bit drivers to install Vista. I got most of the drivers working with 64 bit except the video card, bluetooth, keyboard, etc. Those are the main ones I want.