Any word on a camera attachment coming?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by puffnstuff, Oct 16, 2008.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Could be wrong, but I dont believe the SDK allows 3rd party apps to take advantage of the 30pin connector, which is what would have to be used for the touch... Someone correct me if im wrong though.

3. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I have an Iphone 3G

trust me the camera sucks ( compared to my old Sony erricson k800i)

I would recommend buying a canon powershot sd870

hands down its the best point and shoot available for a good price

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I highly highly doubt it. You will be better off just buying a camera.

6. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Problem with that is that there is no camera on the market as thin as the iPod Touch, or even the iPhone (at least, none that cost less than $300). I think Apple should just replace the entire iPod Touch line with iPhones, minus the sim card slot (and cell radio).

That's what everyone wants out of their iPod Touch in the end anyway...

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, that is the thing, it is an IPOD, not an IPHONE. If you want it to have things like cameras and all that, then just get an iPhone. I don't see Apple doing this. At all.

8. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

I think its comical how people say if you want a camera go buy a PHONE. If it makes sense for a phone to have a camera then why not an "ipod"

Its plausible Apple may come out with a version that has a camera. They are trying to market it as a gaming device. With the DSi and PSP having cameras one can only assume.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

There are so many things wrong with that statement. You don't see other music players having cameras, and ultimately that's what an iPod is in the end; a music player. Most people that have an iPod would also have a cell phone, most of which will have in-built cameras, so even if Apple were to include it (unlikely), very few people would use it.

What would the point of it be anyway? The most you can do is email pictures to people, but only when you're in a Wi Fi hotspot so it'd be just as easy using a proper camera and uploading them to your computer. There isn't much functionality for a camera on an iPod.

10. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you see other music players with pda functionality?

Archos and Cowon have AV- IN

Look if you think all the ipod touch can do is play music then that's your issue. I am not going to argue. I just wanted to know if anybody is working on an attachment.

11. Kathy223 macrumors newbie

I haven't seen anything yet, but i'm sure someone's working on a camera attachment for the touch. Don't hold your breath waiting for Apple to add it though.

12. dollydolman macrumors newbie

The quality wouldn't be great if there was an attachment for it, and it would probably cost about the same as a basic digital camera anyway. I agree with an earlier post, if you want a camera on it, get an iPhone.

13. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Well put Dr. C!
    They won't put a camera in the touch.
    And if they did, it would be a piece of crap just like cameras in most cell phones.
    A Canon powershot/digital elph is like the size of a deck of playing cards.
    They also take fantastic pics too.
    Spend a couple hun and get a real camera.;)

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

thanks

read every review on the sd870, hands down its one of the best point and shoot camera's
    ( its fast, small, has a wide angle, takes great picture, good battery life, etc etc)

http://computershopper.com/digital-...owershot-sd870-is-digital-elph-digital-camera

Check ebay you can get a factory refurbished w/ warranty and memory card for about 200

15. GOA510 macrumors newbie

What if you used the Sync cable the way you use it to connect your iTouch to your computer but connect your iTouch to a digital camera? Instead of adding music/video/photos etc. from your computer to your iTouch, you could transfer photos from your digital camera to your iTouch? Im assuming someone would need to create a command/program/application that will let you do this and direct the photos being transfered to the Photo section of your iTouch. Or is this already possible? I know this idea isn't exactly a camera attachment, but originally I was thinking of using the Sync cable to connect a digital camera to my iTouch but have a "live" connection. Basically having the iTouch connected to a digital camera and when Im taking pictures, what Im taking pictures of will show on the iTouch just as it would on the cameras LCD screen and will save to the iTouch instead of the memory on the camera or memory card. I probably lost most people, so Ill try to think up a way to better explain it :D

16. justan macrumors member

Cell phones didnt have a phone when they first came out. They were a cellular phone. Im sure before cells had cameras people were like "that would be cool but it aint gonna happen.." And yes, i HAVE seen mp3/4s with cameras built in...take a look at THIS

17. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

My old old old Kodak Mc3 was an mp3 player, camera, and video camera. That was probably before or close to when the original ipods came out.

18. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Well, there are certain devices that do take advantage of the 30pin connector (bluetooth adapters, etc.)... not apps, though, you're right.

19. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

The next IPod Touch will most definitely maybe have a camera not.

No one is sure yet. I somehow doubt the camera comes in 2009, but I bet it shows up in 2010. They'll continue easing over functions from phone to iPod in the next years until the iPod Touch is phased out because cell phone coverage is everywhere and the technology is cheap enough to blend all the markets together. That might be 2015 or so, if it happens, unless new and utter-cool features crop up on future iPhones.

You mean they were just useless plastic things people drug around with them to look cool? Like cell phonies? I don't remember that phase predating the actual use.

20. kahine macrumors regular

Those two statements of your own apply to each other

I assure you , I know lots who have ipod touches and Blackberry's without a camera who WOULD use it

You seem awful sure of your own opinion and uses being what everyone else wants -

I have a Blackberry without a camera paid for by business , I have an ipod touch and would buy a newer one with a camera , and use it

Get over yourself

And you others can't seem to get the point of why many would like a camera built in- not to take high res photos to be framed on the wall at home , just to snap quick pictures that you happen to see you'd like , not everyone is photoshop omg , my pics have to be the bestest ever to be worth anything

Snapping a quick shot to email someone while you are walking along with your ipod touch is not that unrealistic or rare of an idea

21. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

if the ipod only played music than no camera would be necessary, but it doesn't. if apple wants to market it as a mobile gaming device such as the PSP and DS then it SHOULD have a camera. the DSi and PSP do. the PSP even has a GPS with turn by turn directions. thats more then the iphone even has.

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Then why does the iPod touch have photo, video, Wi-Fi, apps, etc. support if it's only "a music player"?

I'd rather carry around 1 device than 2. And usually I don't need my photos to be of really high resolution/quality anyway.

Can't Apple have a camera as a BTO option?

23. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

I think it would be cool if the touch just functioned as a screen and a hardrive for a camera external camera attachment

It sux that apps aren't aloud to access the dock connector. That means no gamepad, keyboard, or camera.:(

24. DragonUrAss macrumors newbie

Its possible for a camera to be placed on an itouch.

Things you will need.
    1. Jailbroke Itouch (to pass 3rd party entry into plug in port).
    2. A replacement iphone camera...sales for about $15-30.
    3. Use a rechargine cord to cut and fix upon the camera.
    4. Use one of the many take photo apps on itunes.

Someone get to work on it!!!! What are you waiting for...someone to tell you its impossible.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.
    o_O

25. intempo808 macrumors regular

Haha, if only it were that easy. About a year ago, I did a project for Electronics where I made an iPod speaker that used the dock connector as audio input etc. Basically, Pin number 10 is the accessory input pin. However, the pins on these connectors (the contacts you have to solder wires to) are impossibly small, and only a machine can PROPERLY solder wires to them. For the human hand, the pins are too small to solder without bridging the connections, in which case it won't work.

In theory, it's possible, but it would be expensive and difficult. Also, you'd need to write an App that accesses pin 10 of the dock connector, as current apps won't know if a camera is connected because the 2.x SDK doesn't support it.

You can read more from here:

http://www.ipodlinux.org/wiki/Dock_Connector