any word on A4 speed and RAM in iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stlredbird, Jun 8, 2010.

1. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Looked at the Apple site and couldn't find it on the specs page. Has this info been released?

2. gb7 macrumors member

Apple typically does not release this information. It probably will not be known until June 24th after someone tears it apart and analyzes the chips.

3. greenfields macrumors member

won't there be reviews of the phone? Can the OS report the free memory anywhere, even via a jailbroken app? I'd think reviews would cover that info, and more importantly, if there are any problems if there is only 256 mb of ram, which is really what matters. It could have 8mb of ram, and if it all worked fine, there'd really be no reason to complain.

4. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

There is always a reason to complain. :p

5. tac22 macrumors 6502

My guess is becuase apple didn't say its 1ghz, its probably clocked down to around 0.83 ghz, and if there was more ram they would have mentioned it so its still at 256mb

Though i guess i could be wrong on both accounts *shrug*

6. McBeats macrumors 6502a

sounds about right tho

7. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

That's exactly what i was thinking

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I dont' believe apple have ever officially stated the speeds/memory capacities of any of the idevices, so this is pure speculation.

All they've ever stated are claimed relative speeds ( 3gs being twice as fast as 3g etc ), though I would not be surprised to see it clocked lower than ipad, but I hope it isn't.

9. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

They said it was the same chip in the iPad. No reason to specify speed. Apple wouldn't anyways, they never do. Did they even say the A4 ran at 1GHz when they unveiled it during the iPad conference?

Again we'll have to wait. But considering the marginal gains in battery life, the A4 is probably running at a full 1GHz.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm thinking as far as Apple's concerned the answers are: 'Fast' and 'enough.'

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

no one knows yet, but blogs that got hands on with it say it opens aps 2 to 3 times faster then the 3gs. I would say its most likely 1ghz.

13. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Yeah, they did mention that the A4 was 1GHz when the iPad was announced. In fact they made a big deal about it It's also on the iPad page on Apple's website in the tech specs.

The clock for the A4 for the iPhone is conspicuously not mentioned anywhere, so I'm inclined to think it's not 1 GHz.

14. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Apple is well known for streamlining their procurement and using common parts as much as possible. The cost savings from sharing identical processors between iPhone 4/iPad/ new iApple TV if it exists/etc would be significant.

iPad has a 1ghz processor with 256 RAM. for a 2010/2011 device iPhone 4 really cant go any lower then that.

Id be willing to bet they are the same chip.

15. gb7 macrumors member

They could very well be the exact same chip and still be clocked differently. This is common for all microprocessors, gpus, etc.

16. modul8tr macrumors regular

Well in reading hands on reviews and listening to a few in podcasts, a few people detailed playing around with multitasking (starting in Safari, switching between various apps and returning to Safari a few times) and noting that the browser wasn't reloading pages on iPhone 4. But did on iPhone 3Gs.

While these reporters weren't necessarily testing for more RAM, as I understand it, the browser reloading pages has to do with the 256 MB of RAM. More RAM would allow pages not to reload.

This is entirely unscientific and could mean nothing though. But did make me wonder.

For those that know more about his than I, if the A4 in iPhone 4 has been downclocked to preserve battery, could/would Apple increase the RAM to compensate and keep things fluid and snappy?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Apple doesn't hand out review units IIRC. We'll know after the 24th when we see the first teardown.

18. rayward macrumors 68000

IIRC, Apple didn't tout the bump in RAM from the 3G to the 3GS. They just touted the increased performance. All of which means we still don't know.

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This is not a matter of RAM, it's a matter of the new Fast App Switching in iOS 4.0. I installed iOS 4 on my 3GS last night and was pleased to find the exact same behavior: no more reloading web pages every time the browser is reopened. iOS 4 saves Safari's state when it closes and returns you to exactly the same page without reloading. This has been a complaint of mine for some time now, and I'm glad to see it's finally been addressed. It was always a pain when on a slow edge connection to have to reload the same page repeatedly.

20. gb7 macrumors member

While I am glad to hear that Safari does not reload pages anymore I have to disagree with your statement. The OS has to "save the state" somewhere. Unless OS4 has a swap file we dont know about and it is caching data to the storage then it has to be saving it in ram. Point is this still is a matter of ram.

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Of course it's saving it in RAM. The point is that the fact that the iPhone 4 doesn't reload pages is not due to increased RAM but to iOS 4 and that no conclusion about the iPhone 4's RAM can be drawn on that basis. I canpromise you, it's exactly the same on the 3GS.

22. magnusalpha macrumors newbie

magnusalpha

No, these types of stats (MHz, GPU type, RAM) are not revealed by Apple. The standard iPhone/iPod touch review doesn't mention them because the authors don't have access to that information. That info is usually revealed when someone cracks open the product, or when someone discovers the info from the manufacturers.

23. dagomike macrumors 65816

It's certainly the same chip, but we'll have to see its speed. The A4 is a Cortex A8, just like the one used in the 3GS. But the 3GS is 600 MHz while the iPad is 1 GHz, and of course customized for Apple's needs. Considering the improved battery and power consumption without much improved battery life, I'm hoping for 1 GHz.

As soon as Apple talks specs, everyone compares the iPhone 4 to everything on the drawing board. As if clock speed tells the whole story. The iPhone 4 has to last a year against many new phones that will have better spec sheets. Apple would prefer to do battle in the real world, not spec sheets. It can't win there when a new phone comes out every week.

24. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

iFixit wil probably tear it apart on launch day, then well know.

25. monksealpup macrumors regular

This. Everyone STILL wants to play the MHz myth/war, even though we all figured it out a decade ago. On top of that, today it's all about the software, stupid.

While I would like to know its clock speed + RAM also, I will ONLY be comparing it to the iPad. Comparing it to anything else is stupid.