Any word on fast GPU switching in SL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kryptonianjorel, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

When the MBPs came out with the dual graphics cards, people believed that they would be able to fast-switch between then. However, this is not the case; a logout-login is required to switch between the 9400M and 9600M GT on the MBPs. It was thought with the release of Snow Leopard this would be fixed.

So, has it been? will it be? Any word on using both graphics cards at the same time to boost performance?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't remember anyone ever thinking that Snow Leopard would let us do that. :confused:

3. celticpride678

Yeah. I would think Apple would add this to Leopard if it would even be possible. But I don't think it even is. Don't think it will be happening, unless Apple throws something at us.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've seen a few posts like that. I think the reasoning was long the lines of since you can switch on the fly in Windows, surely the next version of Mac OS would allow that.

5. iphone3gss macrumors member

I can confirm that you still have to logout to switch on SL. I was pretty disappointed. I rarely use the dedicated graphics, but I'd like to be able to switch to it when doing things like encoding a movie without having to close everything out.

6. iphone3gss macrumors member

Just noticed you asked about using both at the same time. It is not in SL. These were actually the 2 features I was hoping for the most to make it in.

7. kryptonianjorel thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, some Sony laptop can do it, so people thought that it might come to be in SL, since it would be a difficult feature and not something worthy of being a 10.5.X update.

Others were thinking with the new OpenCL support, that it may become a reality. I just cant help but think that all MBPs will have the option of dual graphics from now on. The uses are endless! For example, I could use my 9400M to display my desktop and all, while the 9600M GT is busy with Handbrake.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

As I recall, some apps REALLY hate you switching cards out from under them, and the logout is to protect the user from having to worry about issues resulting from this.

As for OpenCL on both......that wouldn't actually require GeForce Boost (not happening on the MBP, not hardware-supported, not practical), would it? As I recall, someone mentioned once that CUDA doesn't require two cards to be in SLI to accelerate to both of them, and in fact gets slowed down if the cards are paired up. Makes me wonder.....

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

As far as I'd seen nVidia has said the ball is in Apple's court.