Any word on Flash support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evev12, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

Just wondering if anybody's heard anything reg. flash support? I know the ball's in Apple's court now but theat doesn't give me any re-assurance whatsoever. So has anybody heard anything?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Teach a person to fish and ... look...

Just go to Google and type in something like "iphone adobe flash"

Then when it comes up with lots of old pages, click the "News" link at the top of the search results to see News items about it. And then perhaps "sort by date"

Then you'll know about as much (or more) than most.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Unfortunately, I don't expect to see Flash any time soon. :eek: I think it's as much of a political thing as it is a product thing.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Flash would be horrible on the iPhone. Talk about major battery drainage, plus how is a 400MHz mobile processor going to run Flash when Flash sucks majorly on an PowerBook G4 1GHz? Flash is a resource hog and you need a pretty powerful machine to view it... do not expect it on the iPhone.

Here's the link

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

That's not really correct. Adobe's announced that they're working on optimizing Flash for ARM and low-powered devices. That's basically an admission that Apple et. al. were right, and that Flash is a bloated, buggy piece of crap on anything that's not Win32/x86.

Could Apple put Flash on the iPhone at this very moment? Yup. But you wouldn't like it. You really, really wouldn't like it. I've used Flash on three architectures (PPC, x86, and handheld ARM), and I can say without a doubt that its performance on ARM-based handhelds is the worst of the bunch: it's absolutely horrid.

Personally, I don't use Flash. At all. If a site requires it, I find a new site. It's a proprietary extension to the web, and it's a very inefficient, non-portable way of doing stuff that can be done just as easily (if not more so) with Javascript and CSS.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Well spoken. Why does everyone want flash?

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I think one of the biggest benefits of no flash on the iphone is that people are starting to rethink their sites, hopefully this will lead to the quicker end of flash on sites other then game or entertainment sites.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree, hopefully we've seen the END of flash supported websites...:eek:

10. sseelman macrumors regular

For me, I don't really want Flash per say - I want streaming video that many sites happen to deliver via Flash. With Netflix changing their streaming tech to MS Silverlight, it will be interesting to see if that ever filters down to the iPhone. But, sites like Hulu.com use flash (as far as I know) and I would love that on my iPhone. Other than video, I have no specific interest in Flash.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Agreed. I hate flash sites. (Except Youtube :eek:)

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

exactly

however, to have the option to enable/disable flash is what i want. let me decide how i wnt to use my iphone, not apple

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Not if it kills the battery.

Guess you gets the blame and the bad press then?

Hint: Not the person that flicks the flash-on switch and sadly, not adobe, even though they deserved responsibility for their bloated, power hungry, slow, cow of a software child.

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

No news... make a new thread and ask tomorrow.

Seriously, use the search please. There are actually a stupid amount of threads on this topic, and every single one ends in an argument where one side demands the feature, and the other side uses a variety of logical points to suggest why it isn't here now and/or won't come any time soon (if ever), and why that is a good thing.

Trust me, if there was news on this topic it would be on the front page and there would be about 50 thousand posts about it. Use the search, read the other threads, and time and time again you'll read people explaining why for A B C D reasons there will be no Flash on the iPhone, and why for E F G H reasons that's a good thing. ppc750fx has made a concise summary of what has already been explained about 10 times now by several people including myself.

Just educate yourself a little on Flash, on the iPhone's hardware, on the W3C (and accepted web standards), and on proprietary extensions, and you'll never again ask why Flash isn't on the iPhone (nor will you ask for it, I bet).