Any word on FW for aluminum Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bjewett, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bjewett macrumors member

So we are in this odd universe where the "white" macbook has FW, and the rest of the line does not.

Anyone hear any rumors that FW will return to the macbook [non-pro] line? Maybe this June? I'm on hold until/unless...

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Somehow, I doubt Apple will put the Firewire back in. It'd look pretty silly to remove it, then replace it - Apple probably have more pride than that.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

FireWire won't return to the MacBook.

If you're holding off buying a MacBook for FireWire - don't expect to buy one.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Get the nVidia Whitebook now whilst you still can.

5. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I agree, my WhiteBook runs like a champ. You may not have all the bells and whistles, but it's a great running computer. Get a 7200RPM drive and 4GB 800MHZ DDR2 RAM and install them and you'll be running about equal with the 2.0GHZ unibodies.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I feel that the lack of 'bells and whistles', as you put it, is not important. You forget that it doesn't have an aluminium body, glass trackpad, ddr3 ram and a glass screen, and you focus on the fact that it's an excellent, awesome, amazing machine!

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I'm just hoping Apple updates the macbooks with floppy drives and ADC connectors.

Yeah, once Apple steps in one direction (hardware wise) they never look back, for better or for worse. You will not get FW on the macbook. sad but true.

I just ended up getting a macbook myself since the FW on the pro is a joke anyway. To my horror Universal Audio released the PCM version of my DPS card (which I thought was not happening) now I need to get the pro for the expansion slot.

8. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Actually, Apple did backstep once. On the first generation Macbook Pro's, they didn't put a FW800 port on it, when they revised it, they quietly added the FW800 port.

Although unlikely, I think it is possible they'll bring it back on the Macbook. I sure hope so at least...

9. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

11. bjewett thread starter macrumors member

Adding FW - backtrack, or a step forward?

Well, if memory serves, the white macbook is a NVIDIA chipset with firewire on it. The previous macbook (white or otherwise) was not nvidia-based, and the new Aluminum macbooks are slightly older, nvidia-based but without firewire. So it would seem the engineering work is already there for FW+nvidia-based macbooks, so I'm puzzled why Apple would not return Firewire to the Aluminum macbook line. It was obviously a mistake removing it. Removing FW; removing glossy/matte options; limiting ports; making it necessary to carry around accessory cables ... does not sound like the "it just works and is easier" philosophy I associated with macs, but maybe I'm not getting it.

So, FW is available
    on previous macs (like dual-2.3 G5 I have at home)
    on the macbook pro (have one at work)
    on the iMac
    on the new mini! (ordered, at work)
    on the base macbook
    ... but not the aluminum MBs.

Nope, I don't get it.

12. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Obviously, you don't...

1. Matte was never an option on the Macbook so that has nothing to do with firewire.

2. "It just works" refers to the operating system, NOT how many cables YOU need to carry around to make things work.

3. Have you seen the inside of the Aluminum Macbook? There is barely any space available. There are other things to consider when adding/removing hardware.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

have you even seen a picture of the insides of the Unibdy MB? Where the heck do you see room for FW? Should they replace a USB port for FW? No thank you very much!

14. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

+1

15. danny_w macrumors 601

That is simply the excuse used by Apple fans that refuse to believe that Apple could ever do anything wrong. The lack of space IS NO EXCUSE, it is merely Apple's design decision. They could just as easily have made a different design decision that did not preclude the extra space for ports. Yes, the casing as designed may not have the space for extra ports, but that doesn't mean it had to be that way. The decision was made and now Apple is locked into it.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Poor decision on their part that will cost them at least some sales.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

True talk right here. I'm upset the Apple Store doesn't offer tender chicken strips. Clearly the individuals at the Genius Bar could have been trained in food preparation . They are headed for bankruptcy.

But seriously, it is what it is. Maybe Apple wants to portray the FW protocol for what it was, the professionals protocol. Perhaps they have studied the demographic of Macbook users and realized that the FW port was underutilized, just as the luxury SUV manufacturers began to tune their vehicles for road use instead of rough terrain, because the majority of customers never took theirs anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I too was going to purchase a Macbook , but cannot because it is simply limited in terms of expandability. No expresscard, no high speed storage (eSata, FW) whatever else. But my friends and family would be the perfect candidate for the MB because they don't use these options and USB is plenty fast for moving around pictures of the cat and charging iphones. I'm just not going to hold a grudge against apple for not catering specifically to my needs. The vendor has designated some options as pro-only and thats their decision.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Oh I wasn't using it as an excuse. They went for an aluminum build, a very slim and sleek look, and that cost them FW, maybe even a card reader and such. But it is what it is!
    The reason I switched from Windows is because of the Unibody. I love the size, the look, the minimal ports and such. I'm sure a LOT of other people feel the same way, otherwise Apple wouldn't have had such a good quarter.
    Yes, there are people who would like to see FW, but I think overall, Apple must've felt like they can do away with it, over USB. Is that a good decision? I don't know, only time will tell.

19. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I fear it's not coming back

It's not apple's way.

as some have said the all in one design has taken a casualty and unfortunately for many of us who use slighty older cameras or use music equipment or have perfectly fine working externals we are ***** out of luck.

I think I'm gonna go 2nd hand for now or the new low end macbook with the 800 ram.

I will not buy a pro as my needs no longer require one.

20. robeddie macrumors 65816

robeddie

Please no, not this ridiculous point again!!!!!

Apple designers, like any computer designers, used the entire space of the motherboard in the design because they had it. There's no doubt in my mind they could have designed it 'tighter' and left a nice empty 2x2 inch piece of the motherboard available, but why go through the trouble.

Case in point, the new mac mini has 9 (NINE!) friggin ports in the horizontal space of about 5 inches!!! IT has 3 more USB, A firewire 800, and extra video out than the macbook, and the total motherboard real estate is most certainly less than the macbook.

Not to mention, the countless pc laptops with 12 and 10 inch screens, and 'smaller' motherboards that have more ports than the macbook.

Apple didn't leave out firewire because designers 'ran out of space', LOL.

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'd like to believe that Apple will add it back in at some point.