Any word on Google Latitude?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by legaleye3000, May 9, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

It has been "coming soon" for a while now.... Also, no mention of it in 3.0....

Any news out there I'm missing? Thanks

2. ijohnw macrumors regular

Google has been hush hush about this...haven't heard anything new since they first announced it!

3. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

They are probably waiting for 3.0 to come out... Not sure though it would be a great addition...

James

4. sallythemac Guest

From what i have read around (couldn't find any links, sorry), Google Latitude will come to the iPhone in the form of a Google Mobile App update, and not as a update to the Maps App that's part of the OS. Therefore, it will fall under the same restrictions as all other apps and won't be able to run in the background.

If true, i don't see any use for Latitude on the iPhone. If you have to actively open the app, let it log your GPS location and upload it, then close it, everytime you want to update it... well there's no point having it!!! If i can remember to intermittently open the Latitude app, why can't i just open Tweetie and update my GPS location on Twitter? I like the idea of latitude, but only if it can run in the background and update your location without being prompted by the user. Seems a shame.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Maybe this is exactly why it is not out - since if it was, it would be useless. The original Google Mobile blog did in fact say it would be available through a Google Mobile App update, but as you point out, there are many problems with this. So, they either scrapped the idea of it coming out in a GMA update (and will release it via a Maps App update sometime during 3.0) or just totally scrapped Latitudes altogether for the iPhone.

6. sallythemac Guest

Hopefully the Maps integration will be where we see Latitude. Although i think it may not be in 3.0. Maybe 3.1, if we are lucky.

7. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I'd rather see Google Voice go gold first. Been on beta list since time immortal.

8. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Whether it comes in Maps or the Mobile App, maybe with Push notifications or "special permissions" from Apple to Google, it will be allowed...?

Who knows...

9. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Personally I though t at the time (and still do) that it wont be through the app store but a firmware update and work through maps.

Kind of makes sense to me and as the maps app isn't third party (I assume not anyway as its installed and cant be removed) Apple would probably allow background running?

10. sallythemac Guest

Push notifications won't do anything. The app needs to send the GPS data, not receive a notification of received data.

Exactly. As Maps is part of the OS, they could allow Latitude to run in the background and Apple could still say "no background running apps" to all App Store developers and remain straight faced.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What was the details regarding Furefox and Google for LBS?
    Makes sense to go I to the Maps app. Integration would make sense regarding core location with 10.6 and safari. A few more secrets from both to come.