Any Word on Mounts?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JABacchetta, Nov 30, 2012.

1. JABacchetta macrumors newbie

Anyone know if there's any word yet on how to mount the new iMacs? Or if it will ever be possible?

As much as I'd love to get a new iMac, unless there's someway to mount them, I'm going to be forced to buy a Dell.

2. radman2020 macrumors newbie

3. bflowers macrumors 6502a

having just watched a youtube video on installing the previous wall mount, I would say it is just a matter of time before Apple ships a new version of the adapter that will work with the 2012 iMac.

4. JABacchetta thread starter macrumors newbie

Any guess on when that might be? Few weeks? 6 months? Obviously I know that nobody knows for sure, but if you understand their past release history, maybe someone could make a prediction.

5. radman2020 macrumors newbie

I had read that this model doesn't have VESA mounts like the old IMACs and that the stand doesn't come off of this model.. Not sure if that is true.

There is a company that makes a mount that will attach to the hole in the stand...

6. bflowers macrumors 6502a

wait until iFitit tears one apart, then you'll know if it comes of the stand. Give it a couple weeks before you give up hope. There was a market for it, so I there is a chance. Although, there were still people that wanted an ODD, and look what they did there... :eek:

7. Mad Sativa macrumors member

where did you read this? (the part about the stand) from the back it looks exactly like older models, plus they have to..... right. Tons of macs on arms

8. bflowers macrumors 6502a

This is in the small print of the mount's Apple Store listing (just below the "Compatibility" list): "Note: Not compatible with iMac (late 2012)".

copied from Apple Support forums

9. pjfla macrumors newbie

Looking for one too.

10. durhambullsfan macrumors newbie

Same here. It will be very annoying if they didn't make this possible. Apple's obsession for thin-ness should not come at the expense of this kind of basic functionality.

11. bflowers macrumors 6502a

Troll Alert

oh, like removing the ODD... :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

12. durhambullsfan macrumors newbie

There's a big difference. There's an easy fix for the lack of DVD drive--use a USB device. There is not an easy fix for those of us who need to mount our iMacs if Apple designed them without any way to connect a VESA mount.

13. bflowers macrumors 6502a

actually, based on what I saw watching the conversion on a 2011, thinness shouldn't have been the issue, so we will have to see what Apple does. It still boils down to Apple making a choice that effects a large number of potential users, and to paraphrase Jobs... "You're displaying it wrong!"

14. Clocknova macrumors member

If I have to saw that damn stand off the back and strap the computer to a swivel arm mount, I will.

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

there's an idea :D

An easier way would be to open it up and remove the stand. It will be removable most likely. Of course you would need to completely take it apart.

BTW, I have an Ergotron LX (must have item) and a laptop attachment. (I also have a quick release which is great).

Point is, this laptop stand is very adjustable and you could mount the 21 inch on it no problem. No way with the 27 inch, but there are other ways. I mount a couple displays on the laptop mount (sans stands), along with my iPad and anything else that I need on it. Really useful item. Ergotron is the shizzle.

Also, there are plenty of VESA attachments to fit any bill. So really, 'strapping' it on a arm is entirely doable.