Any word on notebook hard drives above 500GB soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Title says it all, mainly concerned as I have a friend who does well with a 640GB hard drive in his custom built PC. I would like this in a notebook, as I have backup media and important work worth about 320GB (external hard drive I'm looking into selling because I do not like its performance on Windows, for that matter), and I'm looking to use half of the only hard drive I'd have in a MacBook for it. So, I would have the other 320GB for miscellaneous things.

Predictions, suggestions, ideas? Will prices be pretty reasonable? Thanks everyone.

2. smcline06 macrumors newbie

Well they just stqated to come out with 500GB 2.5" hdd's so my guess is around 6 months for anything higher.

3. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought those have been out since last year. Or am I wrong?

This summer, I could go for the 500GB WD notebook drive off Newegg for $110. Unless I can find a better deal? I don't trust Seagate, as the external I have from them is beginning to bog down. I also know they bought Maxtor, and those hard drives are unreliable (my experiences).

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They've been out forever, smcline06...

There is now a 1TB 2.5" SSD.

Guess the price.

5. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the price for a TB notebook drive would be... at LEAST $225. I haven't seen them on Newegg, are they not in mass development yet?

I'd be willing to spend no more than $150, including tax. That is, maybe I'm looking at a 640GB or 750GB.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

SSD, remember. :p More like $2,225.

7. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops I thought you meant HDD. lol SSD hecka expensive.

How much do you think the HDD would be?

8. claimed4all macrumors 6502

When it does come out, probably will be what 500gb laptop drives are now. Thats the way it seems to work.

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I don't know what I would do with 1TB of storage in a laptop... Probably just brag to everyone about it haha. Now with a desktop it's different, the more the better, especially with BluRay coming soon.

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

BluRay on a Mac? Wanna share what you're smoking?

11. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

When I say "soon" I mean eventually. Apple can't hold out forever on Blu-Ray, especially since they are all about having the latest in technology in their computers (like MDP). I'm guessing sometime in 2009 they will bring it to Mac Pros, MacBook Pros, and high-end iMacs.