Any word on "Phenomenon"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reach, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Reach macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything at all about the app supposed to take over for Shake?

I use FCS2 a lot, and like Motion, but since I know Shake has been EOL'd I find it hard to buy it and spend the time required to get proficient with that.. Especially since the replacement was supposed to arrive this year. It's kinda hard since I don't know anything about it though, so I'm making do with Motion for now..

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Exactly the same problem I have had.

You maybe surprised to hear that Blender actually has a node based compositor built in. You could learn some standard compositing tips and techniques from that. It is free so you don't lose anything by trying.

3. Reach thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blender doesn't do animation though, as far as I'm aware of? And I have used Shake a bit, just haven't spent them time to get intimately comfortable with it.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep, it can animate 3D objects with a full time line key frame based system.

It has some pretty advanced node based compositing features. It even has a video editor built in. Plus all the standard 3D modelling and rendering features. Takes a little while to learn though, I'm just working through online tutorials which help a great deal. It makes sense once you get the idea of the interface, although at first it looks impossible.

5. Reach thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, I was thinking of Modo i think.

Anyway, isn't Blender the free alternative to Maya/Lightwave, not a Shake/Motion/AE-replacement..? Key'ing, videoeffects etc, I thought it was a 3D app.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've already had this discussion on this forum :).

Yes primarily it is a Maya / Lightwave / 3D Studio Max type application. But recently they have expanded into Shake territory in a fairly big way. Plus as I say it even does video editing as well.

Check out this thread for my previous discussion on the issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=418865

7. Reach thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, and thanks for the pitch. ;)

I just don't think I'd base my production on Blender. Phenomenon will, should it come, probably be a) more "Apple-ish" (aka better to use), b) better integrated with the other apps I use (fcs2) and c) a better investment of my time since I expect it will be used by more people in the industry if it turns out to be good.

Not to seem ungrateful, just curious about Phenomenon, and didn't like/choose Blender when I tried it out for what 3D-app I was going to use. (Landed on Lightwave)

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

True. I agree with your thinking, especially in regards to c). For those of us who want a cheap (free) way to do 3D modeling and compositing it is a very good solution. I'll probably look into Phenomenom myself when it is released. In the mean time Blender is a good stop gap solution.