any word on Skype optimized for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by born4sky, Apr 5, 2011.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Did anyone heard anything about skype for iPad 2

2. shandyman Suspended

I'd like this, the iPhone version is ok when 2x, but just not good enough in the long run, there's soo much they could do with it, have contact list on the left on landscape with video on the right and text box below it... thats just off top of my head

3. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Didnt they mention in their blog they would work on it next year or something outrageous like that!!!!!

4. shandyman Suspended

wouldn't surprise me, they take forever doing updates, look at notifications, took them over a year!

5. jackbenson macrumors newbie

BlackBerry

Skype never even got around to making a proper BlackBerry client. Only Verizon customers got it, no other carriers ever did.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's many months/years before Skype finally comes out with a iPad client.

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

They never even got around to making a proper Android client either. Ironically Android users often try to make iOS look bad by saying video calling on iOS is limited on WiFi, and yet the iOS users have already been enjoying video-enabled Skype for a few months where as Android users are still waiting.

My expectation is that they'll probably release it fairly quickly but who knows. Skype works great with RetinaPad on a jailbroken iPad but without RetinaPad the quality is meh as we all know.

7. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I think they really should however, I see a 3rd party coming along and creating something long before Skype will.

8. kultschar macrumors 6502a

3rd party ones are buggy and naff. Fring was crap for Skype calls

9. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Indeed, the iPad 2 has been released and we still don't have an iPad Skype app. I really hope it will be at the App Store in a couple of weeks/months, but also think it is quite improbable.

10. kultschar macrumors 6502a

This was posted on the app section here and is supposingly quoted off Skypes blog by a Skype member:

Thanks everyone for your input on Skype for iPad. The release of the iPad 2 has sent our Skype development team back to the drawing board to completely redesign the user experience and feature set for a version of Skype befitting this innovative device.

We plan to reach Skype for iPad beta release 11 months from today. Hopefully Apple will have changed the App store rules to allow for beta software release by then, and hopefully they will not be shipping a newer iPad 3 model by then.

11. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Yes, I have seen it. This message appears to be someone's joke (the person who sent it, had registered on the Skype forums a couple of days before the message had been sent).

12. Beardy man macrumors regular

I'm assuming that it's still possible to skype on an iPad, just not as good or smoothly as a native app would work?

If it's not possible my wife will not be happy when her iPad arrives (and that means my life won't be happy either).

13. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Yes, Beardy man, you still can use the Skype app made for the iPhone, but bear in mind that it is not the native iPad application. Therefore, it will look quite rubbish on your iPad. You wife will probably be happy (but not too happy), but will have to wait till the release of the native iPad app in order to be entirely satisfied with her new iPad and Skype.

14. Beardy man macrumors regular

Yup, that's what I thought. I can live with that. ;-)
    Thanks

15. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

You're welcome! ;)

16. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Once we get jailbreak going for the iPad 2, we should be able to use RetinaPad on it which will make Skype look a whole lot better. I use Skype on my iPad 1 with RetinaPad and it looks pretty decent.

17. shandyman Suspended

blatantly a windup, tho probably not too far off the truth actually

18. mathewr macrumors 6502

19. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that stinks. The iPhone app works ok though. I'd just like an iPad 2 version that had quality more on par with Facetime. Facetime is of limited use to me as hardly any of my friends or family I talk to on Skype use Apple products (and the iPad is the only one I use as I'm no PCs as well).

20. Advil macrumors 6502a

Hopefully Fring or someone releases a good client to speed up the official app.

Would be wonderful if Apple released facetime for windows though.

21. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Don't hold your breath..This is Skype you're talking about. They are one of the slowest / worst tech companies out there.

22. welshguy macrumors newbie

Thats technically not true... only when they were bought by eBay did they become "one of the slowest / worst tech companies out there"