Any word on the Lifeproof 5s case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by D35P3R4T0, Sep 23, 2013.

1. D35P3R4T0 macrumors member

Ive never owned a Lifeproof case, but was sold on it the other week when my buddy threw his phone to me while I was in the pool. I missed it, it sank to the bottom and when I retrieved it, it was perfectly fine... no water damage.

I havent seen them for sale online yet, and I was wondering if anyone has seen a release date?

2. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

How's the going to work with the fingerprint, and all.

3. D35P3R4T0 thread starter macrumors member

wondering the same...

4. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

It won't

5. D35P3R4T0 thread starter macrumors member

So will they have to change the case to fit the flash or is the 5s flash the same dimensions as the 5?

6. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

I was thinking the same BUT.... Otterbox has a case that covers the button and they are claiming that it will work. I wonder if Lifeproof is doing the same thing.
    Anyone tried the Fingerprint reader thru a screen saver or with the new Otterbox?

7. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

That's interesting. Guess someone would have to try it out.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You can sign up for notification on their website.

Same dimensions.

For those who haven't looked lately, they have a case that seals around the edges of the touchscreen, leaving the touchscreen open (uncovered) for use. I'm not sure I'm that brave and one of the reasons I would get one is for fine blowing sand at the beach. That would not protect the grit from scratching the screen.

9. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

The open screen scares me but I don't think the home button is exposed so it doesn't help the Finger Print Reader

10. xdbuix macrumors 6502

hey about the whole waterproof aspect of the case. You want to be careful with the phone being in water. I've acutally heard of horror stories of the opposite where the case actually sprung a leak. This is with all the ports covered up and it still leaked. This happened to a friend.

reviews on amazon also dont come back too hot on the lifeproof :(

11. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Your supposed to test the case before you put the phone into it. I can honestly say that it saved my phone. I jumped into the Potomac River a few weeks back with my phone in my pocket. Ruined some crap in my wallet but iPhone 5 lived without any issues.

12. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Has anyone actually tried using one of these with the 5s though? Do you think it would negatively impact the home button? I'm getting a friend from AT&T to buy me one using his employee discount, it'll come out to $24.

13. xdbuix macrumors 6502

that's true. I'm just saying, i wouldn't rely on it being completely fool proof thats all.

14. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

So went to the Apple store today and put my Lifeproof case onto one of the display iphone 5s. It fit fine, but the fingerprint reader did not work. It also blocked part of the flash.

15. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Life proof has awesome products!

I have amazed people with my cases over the years. Underwater video w water sound ... Pics ... Playing music underwater!

The case will have to be redesigned as the flash is def different dimensions. Also the finger print scanner.

The company that makes otterbox bought life prof out and they are claiming a case that will work w the fingerprint reader is coming out. I am sure that the life proof will also get it figured into their design.

Hope it's out soon!

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The only downside I've found is that LifeProof cases block the ultrasonic signal used by ShopKick for walk in kicks. With that said, I wouldn't use LifeProof as my daily case so not an issue for me.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

MANY fakes

18. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I'm also very eager to know when these will surface (;)) for the 5s. I work in wetland remediation and the Lifeproof I had for my 4s was awesome. My 5s is coming today so it will have to stay in the truck until the new case is released.

19. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I hope Lifeproof can pull this one off, and make me another quality case so I can make phone calls in the shower again!

The Lifeproof I had on my 4s was VERY impressive. About a month or two ago it finally lost it's sealing(reallllly bad drop haha, really bad) so it wasn't waterproof anymore. It's still a great case, takes drops like a pro, lasted me about 2 Years.

One thing though. The Headphone Jack Adapter? Yeah, that thing ****ing sucks. You'll need a new one like every 2 weeks, because even when taken care of, they break THAT easily. Does anyone know if Lifeproof improved this or is the Adapter still a complete P.O.S.?

20. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

The sensor is capacitive, not optical, so you don't need to be directly touching it for it to work (just like the screen). There's no reason that Lifeproof can't come up with a design that will cover the screen and still have the TouchID system work.

More than likely what you'll is they'll have a cutout in the firm plastic that covers the button area on the 5 cases and have the same screen cover type material over the button area, which will facilitate TouchID working.