Any word on when Fast Charging support will be added?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by jkauff, Sep 24, 2017.

1. jkauff macrumors member

I didn't realize until today that iOS 11 doesn't yet support Fast Charging on the iPhone 8. Has anyone seen a roadmap that says when we can expect that feature?

2. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

I think they said it’ll be pretty soon. In the meantime just use an iPad charger. It actually charges super quick.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

it does

it just doesn't support wireless fast charging.

4. Nozuka macrumors 68020

some website said 11.1
    not sure if they were just guessing.

5. KrisLord macrumors 65832

That’s my understanding too.

Fast charging via USB-C is already there.

6. jkauff thread starter macrumors member

Not sure about that. I have a fast charger, and my wife's Samsung Galaxy 8 charges way faster than my 8 Plus.

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Well supersaf did a speed battery test and the note 8 took 1 hour, 40 mins to charge to 100% while the iPhone 8 plus took 2 hours, 5 mins. Think it just turns out the samsung phone just charges quickly.

8. KrisLord macrumors 65832

What’s do you mean by a fast charger though?

Apple stuff needs 14.5v at 2 amps, which a lot of the fast chargers aimed at Android don’t offer.

9. jkauff thread starter macrumors member

The Fast Charge standard only requires 7.5v. Apparently it's much more efficient than non-Fast Charge devices.

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I am pretty sure Apple uses USB-C PD as the fast charge supply. Which is different than Qualcomm quick charge that most Android phones use. So the adapter from the Samsung won’t actually fast charge the iPhone 8.

11. jkauff thread starter macrumors member

As you say, Quick Charge is a Qualcomm product, now at Version 4. Apple is supporting it for the first time, in both 8 models and the X model. However, it's not enabled in this initial version of iOS 11. That's what my original question was about, when we might see it enabled.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Apple is not using Quick Charge by Qualcomm. They are using their own thing (USB-PD).

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/13/iphone-8-iphone-x-fast-charge-usb-c-buy/
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...watt-fast-charging-like-ipad-pro-using-usb-pd

13. jkauff thread starter macrumors member

Ah. That would explain the lack of a trademark in the iPhone specs. I assumed they would do some sort of Snapdragon emulation on the A11, but I guess this is a Lightning-to-internal USB hardware feature. All the Quick Charge accessories will work, since it's USB internally.

I'd still like to know when Apple is going to turn it on, though. :)

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Indications are that it is turned on. Early testing is showing near 50% in about 30 minutes as advertised. This is less of a big deal if you have a Plus model and have already been using a 12w iPad charger which does about 40-45% in the same time. I certainly wouldn’t spend $80 for the Apple 29w charger and cable to gain a few extra minutes.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It is turned on. I use my 29W MacBook charger and its substantially quicker than my 12W iPad charger.