Any word on when we can expect a full iBook library?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HE15MAN, May 8, 2010.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I find 70% or more of the books I search for aren't on there..I want to keep all my digital books with one vendor for ease of use..

2. flyingturtle macrumors regular

That's up to the individual book publishers so who knows when. Even if the major publishers want to put all their books iBookstore, it'll take time as you have to go through 3rd party aggregators to put up iBooks, and not via Apple directly.

3. Jarmel macrumors member

I would just use the Kindle app for the time being.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Just buy ebooks from Amazon (or where ever), remove the drm (just google this to see how), and then load into the iTunes library.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I want to buy a Dean Koontz novel but for some reason they have mysteriously disappeared from the iBook Store. Thought about buying from Kindle and converting but after 30 minutes of confusing search/reading of conflicting and incomplete info I don't know. You say just like it's "just" a mouse click to accomplish. As best I can tell you need a PC and a nearly impossible to find (with no clear instructions that I can find) program to strip the DRM. Then you have to have another program to convert to ePub.:confused:

6. mizvalorie macrumors member

7. mr. who? macrumors newbie

I have yet to find a program that works stripping DRM. I followed instructions to that "t", but each one fails. Most success I had was one book actually converting only to look at it in ibooks and only the first 7 pages were there. I'm convinced I either buy books that can't be stripped or everyone else has some tools other than the ones I googled for.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What about the DRM?:confused: Don't make it sound so simple when it's not.

9. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Yeah the DRM is the bummer :p There are guides to removing it but I need them to be a little more 'step by step' than what I can find :). Gave up and just decided to use the kindle app which works fine for me anyhow.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm finding the same things. I tried to look up several titles on iBooks, but while they're happily stocked by Amazon, no luck on iBooks. I would hope that as iPad continues to sell well, we should be able to see some substantial improvement in terms of what is available on iBooks. At least I certainly hope that's the case.

11. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

12. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Ditto on it never being 'full' comment (although perhaps for different reasons). It'll never be 'full' until the publishers stop discriminating against electronic editions of books by delaying their release. Just charge a premium on electronic new releases if need be and slide down to lower prices a year after. Personally I'd rather not have to wait a year after release of a book just to be able to read a non-paper version of it.

13. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I'm annoyed that on amazon the magazine subscriptions are "exclusive to the kindle device"... I wanted to subscribe to Time Magazine the other day and got this message. With the trouble the magazine industry is in, it's just dumb for them to have signed THAT deal.

14. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Time Magazine has an iPad App. But they sell issue by issue

15. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Ugh. What a model.