Any writing program for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tragedies, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

I'll be getting my Mac in late October when Leopard is released, and am holding off buying the Office pack for the Mac until later, so I'm wondering if the Mac comes with any programs similar to Microsoft Word?

Thanks ~

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nope no wordprocessor, unless you count textedit a WP.
    but there is always NeoOffice and OpenOffice.

3. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they both have trials. see which one works better for you.

5. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

NOOOO WWWWAAAAYYYY

Get iWork duh. Its simpler and its APPLE:apple::D

I dont need any other programs apart from a Word Proc (Pages does Word proc and page layout both :D), a presentation software (Keynote RULES over Powerpoint IMO) and a spreadsheet very rarely for whic there is now numbers which is simple and that is what I want.:D

6. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree. All new macs come with trials of both of these program suites. Just see which one you like and buy that one when the trials expire.

7. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

I think most importantly, it depends on what you need a word processor for. If you're writting term papers are working in a corporate business setting, I would probably suggest Office. iWork can import and export files in Office formats, but not always error proof - especially with things like Powerpoint.

I think iWork is great for personal use or if you know you won't be exchanging files with alot of people. For example, iWork is great for people who may have a small business who can't afford a professional designer to create brochures or other correspondence.

Also, while Office isn't the slowest program, the current version is not universal; that is, it runs in the Rosetta 'mode' of intel Macs. If you're not familiar with universal versus non-universal program, bascially non-universal programs were built for the older PowerPC processors Apple used to use. These programs still run and often work great on new Intel Macs, but they are a little slower than native universal programs designed Intel Macs. The reason I bring this up is because iWork (a universal app) will probably feel faster or snappier when you're using it versus using Word (which is a non-universal app). It's a very small difference, but one that would be noticeable if you were to use both programs side by side for an extended period of time. The new version of Office coming in 2008 is supposed to be universal.

8. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Buying something just because of the company that makes it is inane - Get what works for you because it works for you, not because someone else likes it better :)

That said, I type everything up in TextEdit and then paste it in Word to print .. though Pages 08 might change that in the future :)

9. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Text Edit isn't anywhere close to iWorks but it is good enought for basic writting stuff. It can oppen .DOC files and you it has a spell checker. It is basicly wordpad with spellchecker. For a lot of uses it is enough to get stuff done. NeoOffice and OpenOffice are more heavy duty and will work too. So you can survive until you get a real word processor.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There is also the free open source Open Office.

www.openoffice.org

cheers,

11. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Basically I'll be using it to type reports and assignments and such (being a student), so I'll proborly stick with iWork.

But I'll try the trials of both when I first get my Mac.

Thanks for the help =D