Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Any free YouTube downloaders? I'm on 10.11.1 and just wanting a few music videos from a concert.

Maybe none available in MAS but anywhere else, don't mind paying a little as only want to use it for a few videos.

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
MacX tube downloader works really well. You just paste the url select analyse and then download.
Thanks looks good. Is it limited to low resolution though, as there's an advanced edition which says download HD?

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
i use 'youtube mp2 podcaster' for firefox/seamonky red icon with ear phones it also downloads mp4-entire video

Reactions: MrMister111

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Thanks looks good. Is it limited to low resolution though, as there's an advanced edition which says download HD?
Well I download 4k video with it. However, I have been using it for a while so it is possible they have changed what you can do with the free version.

Farond

Suspended
Apr 29, 2015
I tried a lot online tools to download YouTube video, a few works nice, while most work badly. Last, I found macx youtube downloader. to be honest, it really works well (the best I've ever used). It can download any kind of youtube video, even 1080p high quality video in seconds. You can have a try.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Doesn't Safari allow you to download YT videos directly? I have a flash blocker (bashflash) which makes YT default to html/mp4 video. So all I have to do is two finger click on the video window and a menu with an option to "download video" appears.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I used to do this natively in safari. Open the activity window. Once the video starts to buffer you can see the progress in the activity window. You can hold option and double click and it should start to download. I haven't done it in a while so it may no longer do it.

Reactions: tennisproha

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have been using 4K Video Downloader for a long time and it's by far the best I have seen:
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader
It is free, offers a premium version (rather useless) but is not obnoxious about it and never nags you.
It lets you download any quality level and file format that is available for a particular video.
This. It is so good that I gladly bought the paid version. Being able to download playlists... definitely worth it.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
ClickToPlugin is a Safari extension that gives you many controls over all your plugins, including the media ones. You can do such things as tell your preferred media player to preload, or not, to autoplay, or not, preset the volume level. It can block Flash content with a blank panel that you have to click on to make it play (makes loading Flash-heavy web pages really fast), and you can whitelist sites so plugins are exempt from controls.

In response to your original question, ClickToPlugin also includes a handy right-click option when you are viewing a YouTube video, to download the video. And it will download it as an mp4 file at your already set resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.