Any Zoologists or Rhino experts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cantthinkofone, Apr 16, 2011.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Random question I know but I am very confused after visiting the zoo yesterday. I was at the St. Louis Zoo yesterday and stopped by the Black Rhino area as I made my way around the zoo. After a few minutes of watch the Black Rhino (I do not know if it was a male or female) it backed up to one of the stone walls where there was a stain on the wall. I thought maybe it was from rain water or urine or something. As I am thinking this a stream of white liquid with the consistency of water shoots out from the rhino's rear end.

Now, I about died from laughing so hard when I saw this but I really want to know what I witnessed. It did not look like any kind of urine I have ever seen a animal produce and I am fairly sure semen is semen. I just assume semen is semen in any male mammals.

It began to rain shortly after leaving the enclosure and I did not get a chance to find a worker to ask. I tried looking it up online last night and ignorant/exhausted me didn't put 2 and 2 together when i googled "Black Rhino squirting white liquid". Bad bad bad search results.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, I can only speak as someone that has owned an unaltered male cat, and they also spray from their nether regions as a marking territory thing.

3. cantthinkofone, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Agreed, I know cats can but what I found about rhinos is they generally use their urine, horn rubbings and feces to mark their territory. Nothing about a liquid.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This is definitely the oddest thread title I've read here. Subsequently, this is probably the weirdest topic as well.

I have no answers. Sorry.

5. iJohnHenry, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe he really, really, liked you, or whatever scent you might have been wearing. :eek:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Quick, does anyone here happen to be a marine biologist? We need a marine biologist!"

7. gonyr macrumors 6502

The sea was angry that day, my friend ... like an old man trying to return soup in a deli.