Any1 got the MS Explorer Touch Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itegypt, Sep 24, 2011.

1. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Any feedbacks? Thinking to buy one it comes with the mac drivers

2. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I bought one....but didn't keep it.

It uses the Microsoft Mouse/Intellipoint v8 driver, which allows one to configure the buttons, tracking speed, and scrolling speed as expected. In terms of the touch strip, it allows disabling horizontal/vertical scrolling, "flick" (inertial) scrolling, and adjusting the haptic feedback intensity (variable to off; but I didn't notice any difference between the settings).

It's not apparent, but the third, fourth and fifth buttons are determined by where one places the finger during a middle click on the touch strip (top, middle, bottom). Unlike the Arc Touch, the strip is actually a button in itself that can be depressed.

The touch strip, which makes this mouse unique, actually works better than I thought it would. Past attempts at mice with solid-state scrolling, from Kensington and Targus, were disappointing and didn't work well.

Microsoft's attempt works very well in comparison to those, but ultimately, it lacks the fluidity and natural responses that Apple's touch interfaces have set the standard for since they were introduced. One complaint I have in particular with the ET mouse is the inertial effect as the result of a rapid flick lasts too long and doesn't decay at a natural rate. It's something that could be fixed in software, or better yet, be made a user preference, but alas, it cannot be adjusted at present.

The feedback that seeks to emulate a notched scroll wheel (both haptic and audible) is pretty neat, but I can also see how some could find the effect, especially the audible part, become tiresome, though it can always be turned off.

One nit I have is that these USB micro receivers are being made so small and low profile, that they've become very hard to remove from USB ports that have strong detents, like the Apple keyboard's. Logitech's receiver at least has a ridge that make it a little easier to grasp and pull out, but Microsoft's is smooth and hard to grip by hand.

Overall, I like the mouse, think it shows promise, and it's something I can get accustomed to. But in the end, I returned it because it's not worth the current ~$40 asking price. If it becomes discounted like the Arc Touch has, I probably will give it another try. But as a brand new model, that will take a little time. YMMV