Anybody Buy Furniture From IKEA?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benflick, Aug 28, 2008.

1. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

ever since the new IKEA store opened up in April, (West Chester, Ohio) we have been buying stuff constantly. i recently bought a small SOLSTA sofa from there I was amazed by how terrible the quality is.:mad: the couch is fine, but when it's folded into a bed, is when i get pissed. the bed part is split into three sections. one of them is wood, are you ***** serious? who makes a bed out of wood? Sleep on it every other day or so, and i do not sleep with knives so i dont know how the holes got there, i was wondering if anyone else has purchased things from IKEA, and doesn't like it.

Attached Files:

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Have you not been around some of the setup threads? Mac people love IKEA, although most of what I see is desks and or small lamps.

That said...I've never had an IKEA anywhere near where I live, so I've never knowingly owned anything from IKEA, but it should be noted that IKEA is cheap for a reason.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

We bought a desk, a small bookshelf and I numerous small items. We LOVE IKEA. But I would check with them on your bed, I doubt it is supposed to do that by design!

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I really like Ikea furniture as well but you have to remember that there is a reason it's pretty cheap. However, I've found the quality to be pretty good and haven't had any trouble with it. I don't know what they'd do, but I would see if Ikea would replace it because that isn't normal.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

there is a reason why Ikea stuff is so cheap.

the only things we really still buy from there are bookshelves and the occasional knicknack. we have started to get "real" furniture that is more expensive by 100x better made and will last longer.

6. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

7. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

8. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

i guess i've learned my lesson for buying furniture from there, although i usually love going to IKEA to buy little things, but their furniture is just awful. and actually, it's not really that cheap

sorry for double post, but that is exactly what my dad said and i have to agree

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No what you should have done was utilized the fact that they have that very piece out on the floor. I had a house guest who needed a bed. I didn't want to invest in an actual bed so I went ahead and went to Ikea for a sofa-bed. I pulled that thing out and the second sat down on it I noticed it was part wood.

Ikea isn't great, but it is decent enough when you need something inexpensive. Don't expect to get more than a few years out of any sofa or chair. That's my opinion. What you must do is test the products. Much of what they sell is out there for you to do just that.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

I have had nothing but bad things from IKEA. Their furniture looks kickass, but the quality is horrible. Looks over function is something Apple users are used to I guess. :)

11. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I love Ikea (desks, coffee tables, chairs, lamps, bookshelves, etc). Thanks for posting the pictures of your sofa bed -- I've been looking around for one and now I know to check that off my list!

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They do sell some decent quality stuff but most is not. I am buying stuff from them to redo my loft (office). I look it at it as throwaway furniture. Having just moved into a new townhouse, I went Crate and Barrel for living room and dining room. Quality stuff that will last a long time.

13. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

the worst part of the wood part of the bed is that it's right where your feet are:(:mad:

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Funny coincidence, this thread, since I visited an Ikea store for the first time just yesterday. I bought a small table for my iMac. I thought looked fairly well made considering the price, which was quite low. I've been using it for nearly 24 hours and it hasn't broken yet! Much of the stuff in Ikea impressed me as toy furniture, though -- but again, not too bad for the money.

We used to have a small chain of furniture stores around here selling really nice Scandinavian-style furniture, called Danica House. Out of business for years now. Not sure where else this style can be found now except at Ikea.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This sounds like one of the stupidest things I've heard... but it could just be a local thing.
    All the beds in this house are wooden. Divan, single, double. Heck the foldout bed has wooden slots underneath.

I love Ikea stuff. Granted I only have 4 pieces of Ikea in my room now (lamp, 2 CD holder shelves and a bedside cabinet... oh and a hell load of cheap candles). My girlfriend hates the stuff though. I plan to fully furnish our future place with the stuff and she's dead set against it :D ho hum.

And no offense but that couch is fugly. Is Ikea different in the states?

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've always had beds made out of wood. In fact most of them are. I'm not sure I get the problem.

17. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

18. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I thought Ikea was swedish for crap? :p
    I like the look of most their stuff but before I buy it I tend to push and pull on the displays, but I have a bookshelf, matching tv table and a dresser from them that I am fully satisfied with.

How long have you had the bed for? Maybe you could return it, because its crap. But I agree that its probably supposed to be used occasionally and not constantly

19. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

since early may, i believe. why would i want to take it back? theres no defect with it. I will probably just keep it folded in as a couch from now on

20. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Ikea is cheap crap in the furniture department, hardly what I would ever call durable. Kids beds are ok because kids don't weigh much. Anything adult in the furniture department is crap. I will say there is some cool stuff in there also, just not furniture. Last time we were there at the CInci one, we bought a nylon crawling tunnel for our daughter, it collapses into a ring and is one of my daughter's favorite things on a rainy day. Cost was $15. :)

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Let's see... I have a desk, file cabinet, two drawer sets, three book shelves, a bed, a side table, a lamp, and a large landscape wall-hanging all from Ikea. I've actually been extremely happy with the quality, so it must vary from product to product.

22. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

we always buy from iKea. Quality is mediocre. Not great, but not worth complaining about.

23. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

The only stuff I will buy from Ikea is stuff that doesn't have to be built, stuff that can't be broken or like plates and small stuff.

OP, I've been to that ikea in West Chester. It is small compared to other Ikea stores and is way too packed typically.

24. benflick thread starter macrumors 68020

benflick

yeah, i have been to two other ones and the west chester store although giant, is not as big as others, and it is FULL of people 10hrs a day

and if your lucky, you get to see touchdown jesus!

[​IMG]

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When some of you say Ikea furniture isn't durable, or built to last, exactly how many pieces of Ikea furniture have broken on you through use?

The quality of the furniture isn't amazing or anything, but I certainly don't expect that even the cheaper Ikea models of furniture will just crack or split apart. It doesn't look or feel like high quality material, but it will certainly last for years, even decades. Besides, it depends more on what you buy from there. If you buy a desklamp, I don't think it'll be of low quality. Same with desks, end tables. Couches are a different story, because even expensive couches can be really crap.