anybody do stock market on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n8mac, Aug 16, 2007.

1. n8mac macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone here trades on the stock market full time using OS X. And I mean full time and not on the side.

See my parents already own an old G4 with tiger and now want to trade full time on the exchange. They bought a course to teach them how to make $$. The course included books as well as an interactive cd with some .exe and windows media stuff on it. They are now afraid that the stock market is an area dominated by Windows and want to buy a used dell workstation. I am trying to keep the family Mac but I don't know enough about the stock market to judge.

They need 4 monitors. I know about using Windows on a mac pro but thats too expensive, they want a $1k used machine. The mini and iMac can't handle 4 monitors. They can't run virtual pc in emulation. They need all the speed they can get. They like tiger a lot but have been convinced by someone that they need windows.

In short I know about the Mac but nothing about the stocks. Can anyone here help us stay Mac and not XP?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They should get a good Windows box. Bloomberg, Reuters, Thomson etc are all Windows apps. Even fancy Web based apps for financial news/tracking will need IE for Windows because of ActiveX controllers embedded in the pages.

Doesn't make much sense that people about to start playing on the stock market (and so possibly losing large amounts of money, as well as making) would have such a tiny budget for a trading machine...:rolleyes: :confused:

3. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help. I will let them know the bad news.

I was wondering this myself. They keep changing their minds. They were wanting new and then found that they need to practice first. So they want used to see if they can really do it and make a profit. For what they are asking for they will spend more than $1k. I found a used dell with an old dual core xeon. It costs $1k but that's without an OS, monitor, or printer.

Thanks again:)

4. persep macrumors member