anybody dropped a contour flick case yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rk334602, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rk334602 macrumors newbie

I've been reading about cases for the past week or so and everybody talks about how great the Contour Flick case looks. I've also read that it's super thin and made out of plastic. I'm all for a super clean, barely there kinda case, but I was wondering if this case will protect the iphone if dropped, knocked off of a table, etc. Any thoughts?

2. b8b macrumors newbie

3. oclor macrumors regular

I don't see how this case would protect the iphone if it was dropped on its face. It's not going to prevent it at all from cracking the screen. Actually I don't see what the point of this is at ALL! You could just get film that would prevent scratches on the back.

That's why, even though I think the flick is the nicest looking case, I would go for the contour hardskin. It has some front protection so if it does drop face first I think the screen won't get damaged.

4. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

well i just dropped my phone for the first time and it was in the contour hardskin case.

case has four pieces (if you use the two button covers it comes with) and all four pieces went their separate ways when it hit the concrete. the phone ended up face down on the concrete. i have a clear film on the glass so no scratches and the phone itself came away from the drop scratch free and fully functional (whew!) but i don't think that's how they intended the case to protect the phone.

i had a contour case (don't remember the name, it was the one that had the see through back and was a dark gray hard plastic everywhere else)for my iPhone 1st gen. that one seemed to be a better fit and more secure as far as its hold to the phone itself.

i'm really waiting for the iskin fuze to come out. i think by the looks of it- it may be the best protection out there. it might be a bit bulky but in my line of work i need the functionality of the iphone coupled by extreme protection against drops and bumps..

5. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Cases are designed to protect against scratches and such (even though they sometimes cause them)...not protect against major falls. If your phone survives because it had a case on chances are it just hit in the right place.

The Contour Flick is nothing but a hard plastic shell...very similar to the case of the iPhone. As such it will be about as protective as the case of the iPhone. It will prevent scratches to the back...and part of the chrome trim...but that's about it.

One thing I noticed with mine is that the inside back cover may cause scratches on the phone if you don't have something to protect against that (I had a BSE skin on mine). There are rough edges where I presume the case was attached to whatever device was holding onto it while it was being manufactured. They didn't smooth out the rough edges on my case that much and after I removed it for the first time I discovered small dimples make in my BSE skin. If the phone did not have that cover those dimples might have been in my phone. After reapplying a fresh BSE (I had some corrections to make for my original application of the skin) I smoothed out the rough edges on the inside back of the case with a dremel (with fine grit sand paper drum). It's not as smooth as the outside of the case, but it's much smoother than it was.

Also I removed the little rubber button over top of the sleep/power button...I didn't like it and it's much better to remove it IMO.

6. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

I was going to get this case because of 1) Good reviews & 2) Looks!

But alas, none in stock and I just received my Griffin Nu-Form today. All I can say I'm much happier with this one instead. :cool: