Anybody else allergic to bananas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ziggyonice, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

MacRumors and the forums are slow as hell today.

When I eat bananas, my throat gets all itchy. Sometimes it swells up and I can't breathe. But bananas are just so good! Does anyone else suffer from this evil?

2. piixel macrumors newbie

piixel

I enjoy bananas and have enjoyed them since i was a lil elf but no, i don't get a swollen throat or anything to that extent.

Although if i drink orange juice before bed i do wake up with a sore throat, but then again i think that's because of the acids in the orange?

3. Malivar macrumors member

My dad does, but the same thing happens to me when I have Watermelon :( And I love Watermelon :(

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My favourite fruits are oranges and bananas. I can't eat oranges because the acidity causes canker sores inside my mouth, which can hurt a lot if I get 2 or 3 sores at a time!!!!

I just have banana now. If I eat orange, it'll be a quarter of an orange, or less. :(

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

No i am not allergic. But i stopped eating them back 2 years ago. My potassium level was very high and i was hospitalised.

Haven't eaten one since, or anything with banana in it.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Canker sores. Riiiiiight. :p

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I cannot eat melon, banana, and sometimes tomatoes because they really hurt my stomach, like an intensified feeling of hunger pain. Not sure why, but it's really uncomfortable, so I don't eat melon or banana. I like cherry tomatoes! :D

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I have the same reaction to the mentioned foods, but it's only developed over the last few years, becoming an increasingly severe reaction each time. My research has found that there are similar proteins in these foods as there are in latex, which cause the allergic reaction. Here is a link with more detail...
    http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/a/latexfood.htm

I think it's interesting to note that the link states that only about 11% of people with this "latex-food syndrome" have an actual allergic reaction to latex. I don't have one, and have never had a reaction to latex, so I never suspected that I would have an allergic reaction to foods that have latex-like proteins.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, the herpes I caught during "the orgy" will flair up. Happy? :p

Too many grapes in where? :confused: :eek:

And grapes are a laxative, so that's the effect grapes have on everyone. I suppose the effect is stronger on you than others.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I used to like bananas but can't haven't had one in years because they give me a horrible, horrible stomach ache.

12. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I remember watching a Law an Order: SVU episode where a "normal" "family guy" was killed in the middle of an S&M treatment, something he had been carrying on for a while behind his wife's back. Anyways he was found by his wife, and Benson and Stabler are there investigating, here's the conversation (roughly)

Benson: Ma'am we found a Banana inserted into your husbands anus, do you have any idea why that would be?
    Lady: What? No, he's allergic to Bananas!

I still laugh thinking about it, I'll have to see if I can dig up a clip. This was the first thing to come to mind when I saw the thread title. :eek:

Edit: Here we go, http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/49551

13. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Haha taken orally :p