Anybody else disappointed by Watch repair times?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Matt T, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

Yesterday I took my Watch to the Genius Bar because the heart rate sensor had popped off and one of the internal cables had come loose, so some features stopped working. I was told I had to hand the Watch over to be sent away for repairs, and the estimated turnaround time is 3-4 weeks.

Has anybody else experienced this and/or feel it's a bit excessive? Particularly because Apple Watch is a device essentially designed to be worn and monitor your activity 24/7 I'm surprised Apple haven't made more of an effort to reduce the impact repairs can have. I asked whether it could simply be swapped out like the iPhone often is and was told no, and they can't provide me with a spare/loaner to use in the meantime either. So here I am without my Watch for maybe a month or so.

It's fairly interesting to notice just how much I've integrated the Watch into my life though. I never really thought I used it much but I feel naked without it now. And the number of times I've caught myself saying "Hey Siri" to my bare wrist is ridiculous.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is why I made a huge exception and bought AC+ for my Apple Watch.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

This, and it's also why I have other watches. That doesn't stop me from trying to find the weather on my Seiko, though.

4. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

Which Watch did you have? Was it in warranty? Apple Care Plus?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Very often Apple will give you a conservative estimate of the time needed for depot repair, and will often turn out to be shorter than that initial estimate.
    It could also be that Australia doesn't have a local repair depot, would be pretty specialized for the Watch, and your watch might travel half-way around the world.

@Matt T - maybe you could report how long it actually takes?

6. Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T

Series 0 sport, yes it's under warranty, and no I don't have Apple Care Plus. Would AC+ change the way repairs are handled?

@DeltaMac I'll certainly report back once it's returned.

7. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

In my experience with Apple Care Plus, they are generally more likely to work with you. My wife cracked her Apple Watch screen and with Apple Care Plus, they swapped it out on the spot. Possibly a different circumstance since it was cracked screen vs actual broken device though.

Hopefully you get it back before the estimated timeframe! I would go crazy without mine!

8. cbronfman macrumors 6502

I was on the phone with a Senior Technical Advisor when I was having trouble pairing a watch - and at that moment the back with the sensors separated from the watch. She said - don't use it - we'll get you a new watch expedited. This was on a Thursday night - the new watch came Friday - and I shipped back the damage Apple Watch on Saturday.

Yes, I have Apple Care Plus and it's totally paid off with bad watch experiences - even within the warranty period. My separated watch was also a Series 0. I'd had it over a year when the separation happened. I was sorry to see it go as we'd been through a lot together. Your experience is the worst I have heard of. With Apple Care Plus you can talk with a Genius on the phone and sometimes things go better - at least they have for me.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

With Apple Care plus you can set up an advanced exchange. They send you a new/refurbished one and you send yours back. There is a hold put on your credit card though.