Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi,

I've had the issue from day one with my Pegasus R6, that it just randomly disconnected itself from the nMP in the middle of work. "Plop" - the harddrive was not unmounted properly.

The issue then just went away after an update of the promise utility.

Now, since a couple of days (4 weeks after I got the machine), the same issue starts happening with my drobo 5d wich is daisy chained to the pegasus. The drive itself is all lid up and online, but it disappears from the finder.

Also, I experienced three kernel panics today during fcp x work..

Anybody experiencing anything similar..? Any suggestions?

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
I've read on this forum of sleep issues with thunderbolt devices not mounting after wake from sleep. Not so much about disconnecting spontaneously. I hope these issues get ironed out because im in the market for a pegasus2 r4.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hi,

I've had the issue from day one with my Pegasus R6, that it just randomly disconnected itself from the nMP in the middle of work. "Plop" - the harddrive was not unmounted properly.

The issue then just went away after an update of the promise utility.

Now, since a couple of days (4 weeks after I got the machine), the same issue starts happening with my drobo 5d wich is daisy chained to the pegasus. The drive itself is all lid up and online, but it disappears from the finder.

Also, I experienced three kernel panics today during fcp x work..

Anybody experiencing anything similar..? Any suggestions?

Kernel panics are not good news.

I don't have Pegasus nor Drobo devices so cannot comment on these particular devices. I do have LaCie Thunderbolt devices and I've not had any issue like you've described. My MP6,1 is 12-core/D700s/1TBSSD/64GB RAM.

1) Does system.log offer any clues as to what the Pegasus 'drop off' ?

2) Are the Thunderbolt cables seated down firmly/securely ?

3) Do you have latest Apple MP6,1 updates installed ?

4) Connect the Pegasus and the Drobo to separate TB ports on the MP6,1 to see if issue repeats.

5) Check with Pegasus Tech Help to see if they have any advice for you.

6) Run Disk Utility's "Verify Disk" on Pegasus and Drobo to convince yourself the file systems are intact.

7) Run Disk Utility's "Repair Permissions" just in case it's a permission issue.

8) Have you upgraded your MP6,1 with extra RAM from 3rd party ? If so, run 'memtest'.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hm, yes I have indeed installed 3rd party ram, but memtest seems to run through without any errors. (So far only two passes)

I'll try plugging the devices into separate TB busses again, though I did this in the beginning when problems first occurred, and it didn't solve them. Actually the last 3 weeks I had them on the same bus and nothing has happened.

All updates are installed of course.

Disk until says everything is fine,
Actually I do have sleep/wake issues as we'll recently, even with USB 3 drives, they just have disconnected after the screen turned black (even though the machine is still running..)

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
It could be the PSU in the Pegasus. It could also be the wall power is insufficient/too variable. (I have never used TB but my external drive problems have all been PSU-related).

Do you have a UPS?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Interesting point! It could make sense.. I am using a USP for my Pegasus and drobo but not for the nMP. They're all plugged to the same wall power outlet though.

I've had problems with the USP recently though. It sometimes would just start to "scream" once I turned it on, and once the hdds start to power up, as if it would not be connected to the wall power anymore and the battery had taken over.
I think my wall power is not strong enough and I would have to split the devices over multiple outlets but they're so badly spread across the room..

It would make sense though that this is the problems source. I'm just wondering how the disconnects could happen with the usp in between. It would explain the Mac Pro reboots though!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I've had problems with the USP recently though. It sometimes would just start to "scream" once I turned it on, and once the hdds start to power up, as if it would not be connected to the wall power anymore and the battery had taken over.

I think my wall power is not strong enough and I would have to split the devices over multiple outlets but they're so badly spread across the room..

It would make sense though that this is the problems source. I'm just wondering how the disconnects could happen with the usp in between. It would explain the Mac Pro reboots though!

A 15 amp (120v) circuit should be good for 1800 watts. If powering a PC on drops the voltage below the low voltage cutoff on a UPS (I assume that's what you mean by "USP"), call an electrician before you have a fire. Something is very seriously wrong with your wiring if that is the case.

It's OK if the UPS makes a brief chirp when you start a powerful motor on the same circuit (say starting the vacuum cleaner in your home office).

Also, some UPS units "scream" when the battery is weak. If you've had it more than a few years check the battery....

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hmm no I even had the UPS replaced because i thought it was the battery, but that was not the case.
So it seems I have too many devices on my wall outlet...

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Did you try different thunderbolt cable?

Very late coming to this - did you resolve the problem? I have the same issues with one of my R6 drives whilst the other attached to the server just sits there being good. I am sure one cable that I have tried is worst than the other and there appears to be some voodoo about which port you connect the mac to. Looking at the back of the R6 it is the lefthand port that is meant to go to the mac!

HTH or are you all sorted now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.