Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I love apple, im on my 3rd mac, 5th iPod. However they are ever finding ways of replacing perfectly good ways of doing things with more expensive options. Take the universal dock the original one with the circular IR sensor it had s video out put and composite output through the headphone jack (the yellow plug that goes into the TV right?) however with the latest one it has no s video, you cant output through the headphone jack. Instead you have to pay £36 to buy there video cable. Also with the new macbook pro's they don't provide adapters for video out such as DVI to VGA instead we are forced to pay £21 for the Mini Display-port to VGA adapter. £21 for an Adapter crazy! Also not including the apple remote anymore thats another thing that has gone from the mac. I find it amazing how apple is controlling the consumers and 3rd party developers into doing it there own way, or also making new technology stating it will be the next industry standard and then charging over the roof for it! Take ADC that never took of and worse to use your own VGA monitor you had to buy a crazily adapter! The point i'm making is this isn't the apple that it used to be. In 2007 when i got my first macbook apple wasn't locking down the user to all there "industry standards" sure there was mini DVI on the macbook which meant i had to use an adapter to output DVI or VGA which they should have included but at least it was still a DVI out put. With Display-port they are able to control what shows up on our screens "The Mini DisplayPort specification includes HDCP copy protection, allowing DRM-enabled content providers, including the iTunes Store, to disable playback on any external displays that are not HDCP compliant." (quote from wikipedia about Display-port).
Now is this the music and video industry forcing apple to do so, such as DRM protected content which i find outrageous meaning I cant play MY TV SHOWS which I BOUGHT on MY PS3. Forcing me to either buy an Apple TV or a mac to go by my tv yet more expense.
In conclusion all I can say is that sometimes things change for worse not better :mad: I also don't see things changing anytime soon, unless us the consumer does something about it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One suggestion I have is to get to know your enter key.

Paragraphs are your friend.

btw, I'm not angry at apple, they're in the business to make money and if they have a product I like, I buy it. If not I don't buy it. I don't take their business practices personal.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It seems you are upset that they are a company out to make a profit. It is important to realize that when purchasing their products.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
Yea I wrote that in a frenzy of anger! Top Gear has since calmed me down!

It seems you are upset that they are a company out to make a profit. It is important to realize that when purchasing their products.

But have they suddenly not started doing this, forcing people to do it there way? They used to let 3rd party developers do things there own way did they not?

One suggestion I have is to get to know your enter key.

Paragraphs are your friend.

btw, I'm not angry at apple, they're in the business to make money and if they have a product I like, I buy it. If not I don't buy it. I don't take their business practices personal.

No no im not cross with apple, i guess just frustrated how everything is an extra these days!

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know if this kind of post is allowed, but go to monoprice.com, bookmark it, save it forever. I think I got my display adapter for like 8 bucks.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
No no im not cross with apple, i guess just frustrated how everything is an extra these days!

I'm sure they found that a large sum of users didn't use a lot of the extras to the extent that it wasn't financially sound to include them with every machine.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

That's what happens when you have a monopoly on a market: you can dictate the price of something. And luckily for Apple, they have a monopoly on OS X. If you want OS X, you buy Apple's hardware. And if you could buy Dell's hardware to run OS X on*, you bet Apple would start providing adapters again!

*Legitimately, with warranty and OS support, eg. not a hackintosh.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
sorry to disagree but they don't have a monopoly. So does GM have a monopoly on Chevys? You're saying the same thing and makes same amount of sense.

They have a right to set a price point for their products, doing so is not an indicator of a monopoly.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
One thing I've noticed with most Apple products is that the freebies you get go down with each generation.

My first iPod (3G) came with a case and dock. With the next generations the dock was no longer included, now you get nothing.

The first iPhones also came with docks, now an extra.

The Intel Macs all used to come with remotes and my Powerbook came with adaptors for VGA and DVI monitors, which are all extra now.

It's annoying but I don't see them stopping.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Apple doesn't like you. Microsoft doesn't like you. Sony doesn't like you. DVD manufacturers don't like you. They like your wallet.

While I agree with you, you need to remember that they are never going to do anything for you that won't benefit them. It sucks, but it's true.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Apple used to chuck all this stuff in yes, but Macs used to cost more than double the price of an equivalently specced PC. These days the cost differential is lower, but as a result Apple bundle less bits and pieces to maintain their profit margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.