Anybody else get graphical glitches (SL)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fishmoose, Sep 5, 2009.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

So turned on the computer today after installing Snow Leopard yesterday and first the menubar had graphical glitches but it disappeared when I clicked the icons.

Went to my desktop sometime later and I saw this: [​IMG]

Bug or is my display giving up?

2. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

yep - I get a graphic glitch when viewing the top sites on safari.

3. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Yes, a few:
    - When I lock my screen, instead of the Arabesque screensaver starting the display goes completely black.
    - When I log back in and load up 1Password 3 the windows of 1Password 3 gets lots of graphics glitches.

I did a screen recording of moving the 1P3 window around the screen, but rather annoyingly, I cannot watch the video in ANY video app I have (QTX, QT7 Pro, VLC). I don't think QuickTimeX is very good right now. I can't watch a massive chunk of my videos.

4. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm getting more and more of these and even the dashboard is getting them, is something wrong with my computer or is it a bug and how do I fix it?

[​IMG]

5. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

the only thing i've noticed so far is in safari, when using top sites page and clicking on one, before the site fully loads there'll be a blank page with vertical banding. i can't tell if this is a 'feature' or glitch lol

6. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Using Firefox for the rest of the day to see if this is a Safari issue. Don't think so but who knows?

I cant believe I'm the only one getting the things shown in the pictures I posted, that's worries me because maybe there's something wrong with my computer? And I'm out of warranty.

Started Uni now to, so if my macbook breaks I'm not sure I can afford a new mac:( I dont want to use a Acer.

7. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

have no idea if this'd help, cause it seems like such an insignificant 'fix'

but my macbook wouldn't work with my ext usb dvd burner....kept disconnecting, getting usb error messages. i bought 2 new enclosures as well as another burner...still had problems. but not with any ext hd's though.

so i called apple tech and the guy had me do a hardware reset....and i'd be damned if it didn't fix the issue!

if you want try it......shut down computer. remove all ext connections. flip it over and take out the battery. flip it back over and hold down the power button for at least ten seconds. replace battery and restart.

apparently holding down the power button completely drains residue charges and resets whatever-the-hell it is in there. lol

8. atomicparker macrumors member

atomicparker

I wasn't getting this with 10.6 but I now am with 10.6.1...

9400m on a brand new 17" MBP.

9. dokindo macrumors regular

same problem here with the banding
    going to do a clean install hoping this and other problems are fixed

10. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No Graphical glitches here. (NVidia 9400m)

Perhaps it is a kext error? Would be worth those with issues posting up their graphics chipsets?

11. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I have an old MacBook with built in chipset GMA X3100 it's called.

I have not got this in 10.6.1 yet but I haven't used my computer all to much on 10.6.1 yet, so we will see.

12. Elzlaik macrumors regular

No such issues here. I have a MBP and an entire office at work on iMacs all running 9400m's. All run 10.6.1 without graphical errors.

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

On a 24" iMac .....
    Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2600

In SAFARI 4

When downloading large images in a browser window the image begins to download to about 35%, then jumps up before downloading completely.

Never saw this with SAFARI 4 in 10.5.x

14. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Ahhh the infamous Intel integrated graphics.

It could well be a kext (Kernel Extension) issue. Unfortunately that particular chipset is infamous in the PC world for causing driver issues.

15. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Yes, the infamous GMA 3100--notorious for sucking ass as a GPU (in some instances, it can even behave as a graphics decellerator, giving worse performance in video apps than CPU-only decoding).

One thing that you might try is enabling QuartzGL (search the tubes for the 'Quartz Debug.app' force-quit procedure). It may sound crazy, as this often caused graphical anomalies in 10.4 and 10.5, but it helped smooth the glitchy graphics on a system of mine with an old GMA 950. However, if you opt for this solution, it is important to selectively disable QuartzGL for the Dashboard app. In order to do this, you need to add a parameter to the Info.plist of Dashboard.app. So open the Dashboard.app enclosing folder, then Info.plist, click "Add Sibling;" then rename the new parameter "QuartzGLEnable," switch the type to boolean and set the value to "No."

16. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Darn didn't know that chipset had so serious problems, I haven't got this in 10.6.1 yet but if I do I will try this, thanks for the tip.

Maybe I should get a MacBook Pro, eh?

17. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

I know this post is slightly outdated but I have been having the same problem recently. Here is the same issue in iTunes 9: http://gallery.me.com/maxeverde#100258
    I have seen the problem in Safari Top Sites and elsewhere, all of which seem like they would use OpenGL, or possibly Core Animation.

The solution Wie Gehts tried is called resetting the SMC. If you have a MacBook without a removable battery, the same can be accomplished by doing the following:
    1. Shut down computer and leave MagSafe plugged in to AC
    2. Hold down shift-control-option (left side of keyboard) and power, then release all at same time
    3. Wait 5 seconds and press power to restart your Mac.

I am unsure if this has fixed my problem as it only happens once in awhile.

I am using a MacBook Pro 15" 2.83GHz. I am mostly using the GeForce 8600M GT, and rarely switch to the integrated graphics.