Anybody else get really grainy photos with new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Mar 18, 2012.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

My wife picked up the new iPad for me on Friday, and the only complaint I have, aside from Safari crashing a lot, is that the pictures I tried taking with my new iPad are extremely grainy. I only had the original iPad, so I can not attest to the graininess being on-par with that model, but I was curious as to how many other new iPad owners experienced poor quality photos taken with their new device. Finally, given that I did not make this purchase for the purpose of taking photos, does anyone think I should consider returning my new iPad over this issue?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

2. kjlake macrumors member

Granted I didn't get the new iPad in order to take pics, but I did shoot a couple and they were very sharp. So it may be something on your particular device

3. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

It will be grainier if your not very steady, or in low light.

Try taking a few outside in brighter light, hold very steady and should come out sharp.

Also macro photos are amazingly sharp, put a dollar near a light, hold iPad very steady about 4 inches above it, you should see it focus on screen. You should get some really sharp pictures, if not something might be wrong.

I'm getting amazingly good macro photos, even in lower light, but you got to be really steady or rest iPad on a surface.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

My first thought is you were probably taking these pictures in low light.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Post an example image. Like others have said grainy images are normally from low light. I have found the camera to be much improved

6. xraytech macrumors 68030

What lighting conditions were you shooting in? Anything less than broad day light conditions, you will get grainy captures no mater what camera you use.

7. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Grainy means low light .... iPhone 4 was horrible with this and these new iPad are basically the iPhone 4 (not S) cameras recycled.

For a tablet where in all reality you shouldn't be using to takes pics anyway it's a great camera.

For me I would prefer a better front facing camera than a back one.

The camera shouldn't be an issue really ... its a tablet ... if you want to take pics use your iPhone 4S orrrr .... wait for it ..... "A Camera" !!!! :p

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I'd guess low light like others posted - let's see a picture.

9. DS3 macrumors 6502a

It should perform a bit better than the 4 in low light, the sensor is the same but the lens is bigger from the 4s I believe, something like that anyway.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It has to be better than the iPad 2 camera, which gets grainy even in bright light. Anyway, post some examples?

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Oh it certainly blows away the pathetic 2 camera that was only decent for video.

12. arterio macrumors member

If it's grainy it's more than likely a low light issue. Even the best sensors in mobile devices need light or they compensate by increasing the sensitivity and that's why you're seeing more noise.

As suggested previously, take it outside when it's nice and bright, hold it steady as you can, and try a few snaps and see what the results are.

Can you post a few samples for us to look at?

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Definitely better than the 2!

14. big samm macrumors 65816

This is a picture taken from the new iPad... With lots of sunlight. Not grainy at all if you ask me. I'm uploading it using the app tapatalk, so the picture is not full res...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332098656.349649.jpg

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

Image sensors capture a lot less light than the human eye. If you are shooting indoors with indoor lighting, its low lighting for a camera.

The sensor size and the size of the photosites on the image sensor play a role too. Being a mobile device you'll have a small image sensor with small photosites which will equal a noisier picture.

This is why its generally not a good idea to go above 12 megapixel on portable cameras, and above 5 megapixel on cell phone cameras until technology catches up and finds some way to improve this. Your image may have more resolution but it'll be a lot noisier.

16. emgoodman macrumors regular

Only a half serious question: are you taking pic with the front camera and not the rear facing?

17. Giies macrumors member

I also found my camera to be grainy too, but then yes i tested it out in door, haven't try out door yet.

18. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

Do yourself a favor by checking the property of the photo. For these kinds of cameras, any ISO rating 400 and over will surely give you grainy look. It's very easy to hit ISO 400 indoor even in day time.

19. arterio macrumors member

I'll be getting my iPad this Friday. I'm a photographer and I'm very interested in the quality of the images it takes. I have an iPhone 4 and a Canon 5D Mark II, so I won't be using the iPad very frequently to take photo's. But I'd like to see how it compares to the other two devices. I'll post results when I'm done.

20. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't say that it was exactly low light. I shot the original pics in my house at night, but in a brightly-lit room. EDIT: I just re-read the comments about interior lighting and realize that no matter how bright, it's still probably considered low light for the camera.

I took the opportunity yesterday to take some pics with my form nieces yesterday outside while they were playing, and those pics were markedly better. Still, when I zoomed in a bit, you could see the graininess.

I had forgotten how grainy the iPhone 4 pics had gotten - thanks for pointing out that this iPad has the same camera. My only issue is that it's really hard to see what you're capturing - it's hard to see the screen in sunlight, but oh well.

I also shot a bit of video - that was really nice. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.