Anybody else getting 'unknown' phone calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmikey2, Sep 4, 2008.

1. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Anybody else getting 'unknown' phone calls?

I get them about twice a week and no one is there, the call lasts 4 seconds, almost exactly and there is never a voicemail.

The calls come in twice a day when they do and then they stop, a couple of days later they start up again.

Very strange. Just wondered if anyone else has this weird issue.

Mike

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It just sounds like someone is screwing with you. You can have the number traced if you call at&t and file a complaint, then the FCC and/or FTC can go after them.

TEG

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

could be an automated sales call. a system will dial your number to see if it's "live". if you answer your phone, then the system flags it as a "live" number so a real sales person can call you later. if you don't answer your phone, after a few more of these automated sales calls, the system will flag it as a "non-live" number, remove your number from their log and stop calling you.

just a thought.

4. macmikey2 thread starter macrumors regular

macmikey2

I had thought of that as well, but this is going on for about 6-7 months now.

Mike

5. macmikey2 thread starter macrumors regular

macmikey2

I did call them about 2 months ago and they said according to my call history, there is no call. That's why I think this is weird. they do not show any calls that do not have a number and are not in my recent calls list.

I may try them again as this just started again today, twice now so far.

Thanks,
    mike

6. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

I get that unknown phone call all the damn time. I just ignore it.

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

8. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ya, but didn't you say there was only silence for 4 seconds? is that because you answered your phone? if you answered it, you've been flagged.

here is my trick:

if i've been flagged and sales people start calling me from strange numbers, i always answer: "Dallas police department"

usually, the sales people freak out and think they called the dallas PD offices and never call back.

works for me, so give it a try in your city.

9. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Absolutely brilliant! I commend you.

10. macmikey2 thread starter macrumors regular

macmikey2

I am on ATT chat with support now. Hope to see something happen..

Yeah right.

Mikey

11. macmikey2 thread starter macrumors regular

macmikey2

I'd buy into that, it sounds right, but I have yet to be called by anyone at all for sale. I just get these. And, apparently i am not alone.

Mikey

BTW... ATT says I am screwed. No way to find the number in their system.
    blah blah blah

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i think they are called creditors, aka "bad people." avoid them at all costs! :D

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Wow. That's amazing! I'm going to use that for sure!

14. macmikey2 thread starter macrumors regular

macmikey2

Well, after chatting with, ahem, support, I got a mail (not email) address to 'voice my concerns, which I am free to do'.

I told her I would just sell the phone and go back to Verizon and she disconnected the chat.

Hate ATT and would never ever use them if not for this damn phone I love so much.

Mikey

15. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I haven't gotten any "Unknown" calls but I've been getting calls from random numbers, probably a few times a week. I never answer them though.

16. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

its one of those automated craps.

i get them almost everyday

17. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

You're blaming the phone company because someone keeps calling you? What exactly do you expect them to do about it?

18. ns04 macrumors newbie

ns04

so i told them that it was the dallas police department... they said the number they called wasnt a dallas number. So i told them that it was the ohio branch of the dallas police department. There was silence so i know i got the best of them.

19. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

lol....ya, but do you live in Dallas? it only works when you say the city you live in. works well for me because i'm 29 and have a deep voice, so i drop it a few extra octaves and say it in a "mater of fact" tone. fun stuff.

Or how about just messing with the sales people. i had comcast call me up asking if i wanted to sign up for cable (tv cable that is) and i just play super dumb (no jokes pls! :cool:).

comcast: would you like to subscribe to our cable service.
    me: sure! does that let me surf the internet?
    comcast: no, its for tv
    me: sure! i could use a tv too!
    comcast: no...sir, this is cable for your tv
    me: i don't have a tv. can you sell me a tv with the cable?
    comcast: no, i can only assist you with the cable.
    me: what good does that do me then? :mad: put me on the phone with your supervisor!
    comcast: uh......*pause*....uh....*click*

don't look at sales calls as bad things....have fun with it and you'll soon enjoy some of them!

20. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

YES! - I've had this, the numbers being 08450020012 and another one similar to my own number - did a websearch and apparently it's part of a phone scam, where they set automated computers to call numbers, and if you return the call you are charged a certain amount or even charged for recieving the call - So beware, and don't answer them.

21. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I get weird calls like this all the time.
    -unknown and no voicemail
    -11111111 or 9999999 or 00000000 numbers

I am on the do not call registry but it doesn't seem to help.

22. macmikey2 thread starter macrumors regular

macmikey2

Jeez... there's always at least one...

I simply expected them to see what the number was that was actually getting to me.

I believe, may be wrong, that they can tell where the call came from probably 95% of the time. All I wanted was to have them look at my call log and see if they could trace it back.

And, if I am not the only one, see above, then there may be a way to find all unknown callers with no phone number attached and possibly see where they are coming from.

So, to answer your question, I wanted them to try and help resolve this. It costs me time, a little frustration as I frantically pull the phone out of my pocket and answer it only to be hung up on and then look and find it is, once again, the 'unknown caller'.

Very simple I thought, and I posted here to see if it was just me, and someone was screwing with me, or was it a little more than that.

I think this is a little problem, no big deal actually, but it was worth my time to try and stop these calls. They simply did not care. I just don't want to have to change my habits to leaving all calls go to voicemail so I can avoid these calls.

Mike

23. ns04 macrumors newbie

ns04

This is great... exactly the thing I enjoy doing when they call.