Anybody Else Gonna Wait until....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanc28, Jun 23, 2010.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

they map out the problems with iPhone 4 (reception issue, yellowing screen, flickering screen)? I was going to pick one up tomorrow, but hearing & reading about the issues makes me realize being an early adopter has its problems...

2. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

My wait is pre-ordained: white ones not available until late July.

I have a sneaking suspicion the white ones could already be the first re-engineered ones that improve reception. ;)

3. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I'm considering abandoning my plans to head to the Apple store early tomorrow morning. I don't have a reservation and was going to go try and grab one of the walk-in stock. Now, however, I really wonder...reception issues while holding the phone? Proximity sensor issues? Screen discolorations?

My practical side tells me to hold off until this starts to pan out. My impulsive side tells me to go ahead and get the iPhone 4 because I'll either get lucky and have no problems, any problems will be resolved eventually, or at worst I'll just return it. But dang, what a headache.

Really a buzzkill.

4. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Im starting to think like the thread starter and just keep my 3g for right now. the screen issue alone is enough to make me wait! the screen was one of apples biggest selling points of the iphone 4 and now discolored screens?? this doesnt seem like a software update can solve this problem! this is a rather rough decision for me though, i have someone meeting me at apple tomorrow to buy my 3g as a birthday gift for their husband. part of me feels obligated to go ahead and sell the 3g, get the 4 and deal with any potential issues later.

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I worked out the reception problem 30 seconds ago put it in a leather case or get the bumpers for it. Don't touch the metal edge no problem.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I'm actually quite convinced that there is no real issue with reception and that it's simply an overly sensitive software setting that can be fixed. The screen yellowing/flicker are most likely not very widespread.

It all doesn't matter, however, as I'm still trying to decide whether to pickup my pre-order tomorrow or wait for the white one.

7. NYRGirardi5 macrumors member

i've had absolutely no problems since i got the phone. i wouldn't let some people's issues stop me from getting this wonderful phone.

8. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I'm going to take my chances.
    If there are any problems, I'll restore my 3G and trade iP4 in for a new one when all the fervor dies down.

If I end up with a "yellow screen" one - well, I'll just put up with the yellow screen for a few weeks until I can exchange it without waiting in line at the Apple Store.

Yes, early adopters might be the first to encounter the problems, but being an 'early adopter' doesn't mean Apple isn't accountable for problems with their product.

9. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Look at it this way: if it does have a minor defect, Apple will replace it, about the same time more stock becomes available. So if you're gonna wait a month, would you rather spend that month with a slightly defective iPhone 4, or your current phone?

Honestly, I think the risk is very low. The reception looks like a software bug, and the screen issues are likely not as frequent as they seem. When things work correctly, people are quiet about it, when they don't, they are much more vocal about it — as you can see that in this forum.

10. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I'm sure Apple will work out these issues if there really are widespread defects -- either in hardware or software -- but I've decided I'm going to play it safe and sit on the sidelines for a bit.

My 3GS is running like a champ and hardly ever drops calls, and since it is my only phone -- and I use it for business -- I don't want to take the plunge and deal with the hassle if I have serious signal issues with the i4.

I'll monitor the forums closely over the next few days to see what happens. Good luck to everybody here, whatever you decide.

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

12. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

They do not replace it. Apple takes the phone, looks at it, and determines the fate. If the employee decides it was user caused, you are s.o.l. If, however, the Apple employee deems the iPhone4 problem a defect/not caused by the user, then it will be submitted for repair OR replaced. You do not automatically get a new iphone. Trust me, this is coming from someone who had issues with the volume button, and the apple employee tried to tell me, "someone may have jammed something in here". Quite bogus.

13. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

This is based on one persons experience. My experience has been quite the opposite. Never had a problem with getting a replacement for a defect. Silence/vibrator switch broke on 3G , replaced in 5 minutes. Cracks in the white 3GS replaced in 5 minutes. Problem with home button on first gen, replaced in 5 minutes. Those are my experiences.

14. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

If it's a widespread issue, like the yellow spot defect, chances are Apple will replace it or fix it.

Little problems (like the one you mentioned) are typical on any device, as is tech support placing blame on the user. If you're really worried about such things, buying no gadgets is the only solution.

However, this thread is about the iPhone 4 specific problems and if they are worth the risk. The general risk of buying electronics is a whole different discussion.

15. bryanc28 thread starter macrumors 6502

bryanc28

well, I really want the iPhone 4, but I think my being patient for a few more weeks would be the best. I do not have good luck with brand new electronical devices (I'm floored though, as my iPad is the first device I have owned with zero problems). I figured I waited 2 months for the iPad, I can wait for the iPhone 4.