Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Im not eligble till october 28th. So i have to hear people gloat about how fast the 3gs is. And now there's a car show coming up in my area that i couldve attended and videotaped with the 3gs. Man At&T 4 years with u guys and u still make me suffer.

anybody else gotta wait till eligible...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I think a $200 premium is fai is one sense but absolutely outrageous in the other.
There was no doubt that I was going to get a 3Gs on launch date regardless of the premium. Fortunately I feel into the early upgrade after only 8 months of being an ATT customers, No idea why I was eligible but I took advantage of it.
You can always jailbreak and get cycorder which is an EXCELLENT program and use that atthe auto show

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
hmmm

i did jailbreak it before and it used to freeze like crazy. Im waiting a while to see how other peoples jailbreak is going with the 3.0 upgrade...

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I think a $200 premium is fai is one sense but absolutely outrageous in the other.
There was no doubt that I was going to get a 3Gs on launch date regardless of the premium. Fortunately I feel into the early upgrade after only 8 months of being an ATT customers, No idea why I was eligible but I took advantage of it.
You can always jailbreak and get cycorder which is an EXCELLENT program and use that atthe auto show

I dont see how after 4 years of service i didn't get it and people have gotten the early upgrade after 8 months .. you are not the only one that has told me that. Im so frustrated with AT&T.

eagles2214

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Michigan
Im not eligble till october 28th. So i have to hear people gloat about how fast the 3gs is. And now there's a car show coming up in my area that i couldve attended and videotaped with the 3gs. Man At&T 4 years with u guys and u still make me suffer.

anybody else gotta wait till eligible...

I'm the same upgrade eligible date as you. Have you tried going to an ATT store and asking? I'm planning on going tonight and trying my luck!

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I'm the same upgrade eligible date as you. Have you tried going to an ATT store and asking? I'm planning on going tonight and trying my luck!

Yea i have.. they said i can upgrade but with a fee and like 400 bucks. I wanted to drag him across the at&T counter when he said that...

Sebap3

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Yea i have.. they said i can upgrade but with a fee and like 400 bucks. I wanted to drag him across the at&T counter when he said that...

On the AT&T web site it said that I had to wait till December to upgrade my 3G or I could do it early and pay $200 more. I decided to do it and I went to Best Buy and was ready to pay more. When I told the guy there that I wanted to upgrade he checked my account and said I would have to pay $200 more and I said it's fine but when he processed everything and scanned the phone and put my account info into his computer the total came up to around $250 for the 16GB phone and a clear skin. I don't know if AT&T let me upgrade for a cheaper price or Best Buy made a mistake but you should go to the store and see what happens.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I'm with o2 in Ireland. Full marks to them, I'm due an upgrade on July 14, twelve months after buying the 3g.
Only three weeks to wait, yippee

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I dont see how after 4 years of service i didn't get it and people have gotten the early upgrade after 8 months .. you are not the only one that has told me that. Im so frustrated with AT&T.

It's not that hard to understand and it's completely fair. It has nothing to do with how long you have been with AT&T, because I've had them for 13 years back to the old Bell South days. It all has to do with what you pay just for you iphone line. $99 is AT&T's break even point so to speak. This is the point that they have chosen recover the cost above of their subsidy. They don't even have to do this. When you signed a contract you agreed to pay for bill for 2 years in exchange for the subsidy.

Every dollar over that $99 they put towards paying off the subsidy early. The more you pay, the faster you pay off the "loan" they put up for the phone. It's just business, the more you pay the more often they can offer you deals. Like I said they don't even have to do that. They don't have to extend you contract while your still in the middle of one.

Edit: I know sometimes it's doesn't seem fair, kind of like my case where I pay around $65 for my iphone line, had to pay $500 for my 3g on release day. While other who pay the $99+ while people who paid $300 for the same phone and only pay a little more then me are up for the upgrade up to 8 months sooner, but hey that's business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.