Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
I recently bought a OWC 120 GB SSD to put in my early 2009 15" MacBook Pro. I initially installed it to my mac pro as an external drive to install Mac OS X 10.6 on it using the macbook pro's installation disk. It installed fine.

I then installed SSD drive in the MacBook Pro. It booted up ok. But the longer I used it the more problems cropped up. Often spinning beach balls, delays starting programs. I cleared the PRAM what seemed to work at first but still problems, So I tried reinstalling Mac OS X again and start from scratch, but still all the same problems. I'm losing all the benefits from even using an SSD drive with total unreliability.

I went back to my old HHD. It might be slower, but at least it works. I'm not convinced SSD's are all what their cracked up to be. Technology is not quite their yet.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
This is the SSD I was considering for purchase. During my research I've found that it is best to install the SSD and then install the OS fresh. I picked up on a kind of pattern after reading tons of customer reviews on Newegg, etc. If it's still under warranty I would try to have it swapped out for a new one. Also from the customer reviews, quite a few people have to get replacements. I definitely wouldn't expect spinning beach balls and apps with launch delays.

OWC Nick

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Woodstock, IL
Problems with OWC SSD

More than happy to assist you with whatever issues you are having. You can reach Joe, our senior technical support representative, at 815-333-5092, and he'll look into the matter thoroughly.

Unfortunately to hear of this...our SSD has been well reviewed by both users and media...and your experience is certainly not the norm.

Thanks!
OWC Grant

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I got a Mercury Extreme 240GB that I put in my MBP two days ago and it has worked great and been amazingly fast.

I never even powered on my MBP when I got it at first, the first thing I did was install the drive and do a fresh install of Snow Leopard from the Apple Recovery disks contained in the MBP box.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I installed mine a couple days ago on a 2008 13" MBP and had no problems. Used Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything to the new drive, swapped the drives, rebooted twice to rebuild caches etc... and everything works perfectly. Much faster.

antmo

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
I purchased the 240gb mercury pro a few weeks ago and it has actually performed better than my expectations (real-world use as well as benchmarks). I CCC'd my running drive to it in an external enclosure, opened up my MBP, swapped-in the OWC drive, everything runs flawlessly.

On a side note about OWC in general, I've been very impressed with their service. I hadn't done any business with them prior to buying their drive, but they've been great to deal with. I ordered the drive about 8pm at night, selected the free shipping (I think it was UPS ground...) and when I woke up the next morning, there was an email with the tracking number, checked it and it was already out for delivery!

Anyway, even though I probably sound like a shill, I assure you I'm not... just a very satisfied customer.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
i installed a 240GB OWC HDD in my mid-'09 MBP about two weeks ago and have been extremely pleased with it. It actually replaced a 256GB Crucial C300 SSD that I never could get to work properly. The OWC was simple to install and a breeze to setup--no issues at all.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Ditto - I've never had any problems with OWC products, including their SSD. Been using it for the last few months (after returning the Crucial 300 I had just purchased), with zero issues. Incredibly fast, with no performance degradation that I can see.

diglin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
I have exactly the same problem as linuxcooldude. I have a MBP 17" with an intern SSD 120GB Mercury Extreme Pro and my normal HD 500GB Hitachi. I have the SSD since three month. The SSD makes me crazy since two weeks. Softwares crash, then it's the OS which doesn't want to boot properly. I tried a clean install but even the install provide problems and when it works, some other process (other software installation, updates and normal uses) still doesn't work.
I came back to the HD which work without problem and hope that OWC will change my SSD and/or provide me a solution. I will provide here the feedbacks.

robdr1

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
I have exactly the same problem as linuxcooldude on my 2009 MBP that I installed a new OWC SSD into yesterday.

MBP is fully up to date and the SSD has the latest firmware.

At first the MBP couldn't find the drive, so I had to install the OS by plugging the drive into the USB. After that I inserted it back in the MBP and it recognized it as the boot drive.

But...

I have had nothing but problems, locking and spinning balls.

I will post here as I go through the process of fixing these issues with OWC.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
There is a firmware upgrade available to fix the sleep issues. To be honest, it was quite annoying for awhile, but now it's perfectly fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.