Anybody else having a REALLY hard time selling their MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I'm all over craigslist, ebay, myspace, facebook, posting up around campus etc. My MBP is less than a year old and coms with tons of accessories and a sony cybershot.

Shortly before the update I posted to craigslist and was getting some ridiculous offers overnight. I keep lowering the price to the point where I think I'm just gonna keep it.

Anybody else in the same boat? Or got any pointers?

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Seems to be the story for trying to sell any electronics right now.

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

It sucks. I shoulda just sold it a few weeks before the update, but I wasn't sure anything would actually come out ha.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Well whats your price? Maybe you are extremely high and don't know it. I have had no problems selling electronics lately on craigslist.

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Really? hm.

Well I'm selling my MBP (the one in my sig) with a black neoprene sleeve, black incase hardshell, snow leopard, iwork09, comes with box and all the original stuff. With it also comes a sony cybershot dsct300 with a case and 2gb memory card. The MBP is still under warranty and has been kept in both cases since purchase.

Asking $1,700. Maybe steep? People aren't even messaging trying to lowball me though ha.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that you are too high. You can get a 15" i5 2.4ghz from Apple for $100 more.

7. PAC88 macrumors 6502

on ebay.. the trick is to start the bid extremely low. $0.99 to a couple hundred is a good starting point. it sounds crazy at first but it gets people interested and you usually end up getting fair market value for the item.. If you start the bid too high then no one will pay attention and you get 0 bids. It's also important to include lots of good pictures from different angles and a thorough description of the item.

I use ebay pretty often to sell electronics and get real fair prices for everything.

edit: I would also sell the camera separately, you'll get more money this way. But it's up to you though

8. spierce7 macrumors newbie

Too high. I sold exact same computer 2.8 ghz, etc that was purchased in June of 2009, with applecare for 1700.

~Scott

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Also, don't bundle the camera and accessories (aside from what originally came with the computer) with it. It's counterintuitive but those won't help. Potential buyers will just feel like they're overpaying and may not have a need for the extras. You'll probably also make more money splitting things up and selling the additional items separately.

10. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Good advice guys, thank you all : ) I will repost it tonight.

11. jmdMac macrumors regular

Ya I would say that is a bit much. I just bought my new base 15" i5 for $1699 with no tax from apple. IMO people will be much more inclined to buy the newest mbp for the same price.

12. devils punchbow macrumors member

Though you are certainly high in price. In my mind the deal breaker ultimately is your processor. A core2duo in a year or two. Will seem like a dinosaur......

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

To some, and to others it will still be an UPGRADE!:D

14. VelvetFannypack macrumors newbie

I sold my 2008 15" unibody 2.4GHz mbp for $1300 on craigslist last week.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

As others said price seems high and stop bundling things. You have to find a buyer who needs both, not just one. Separate it.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I sold my 17" previous gen mbp (just before the i5/i7) about a month ago and I'll tell you the best way to sell it on eBay.

List your macbook pro on eBay on a Sunday at around 9pm for 7 days with only as an auction at no reserve.

This method will most likely fetch you the price for whatever your macbook pro is worth.

17. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Sell one item at a time - you may think that you're doing yourself a favor by including extras and such, but most buyerS for a Macbook pro could give a crap less about your Sony camera and other stuff, yet you're probably adding to the asking price for those items.

Sell them in such a way that you can catch all the buyers in each niche - drop the MBP $200, sell the Sony + card for $175, then try and get $25 for anything else extra.

Sold cars for a bit - if it's not a factory accessory it's crap for a trade in - I don't care how much your 22" rims where... Kinda the same deal here, if you've got the original accessories and box include them - if it wasn't OEM make another auction.

Good luck.

18. mark28 macrumors 68000

This.

Why would you pay $1700 for a 1-year old C2D with GT9600M ( and no warranty soon ) when for $100 more you get a core i5 and a GT330M.

I would never buy it for $1700, I'll just get a new one :p

19. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Macs and a lot of electronics are overpriced to begin with so it's not wonder people won't pay high prices for used stuff when they have no idea of it's true history. I think most people expect too much out of their old stuff. Unless it is a really great deal it's not worth the potential headaches for most people.

20. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Price is way to high for outdated used goods.. Give someone a good reason to pick up yours instead of going down to the apple store. You only get closest to retail when your selling the same thing as the apple store.