Anybody else having problems with flickering camera on 4s??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gunner86, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Gunner86 macrumors member

Bought a 64gb unlocked 4s directly from apple and noticed a few times that my camera would start flickering in video mode, like tonight i called my dad on facetime and it started flickering and even he noticed it, so is this a software issue or a hardware issue??? Thanks for all the help.

Gunner

2. pjb4466 macrumors newbie

I've used FaceTime once and had this issue. 16GB black 4S.

3. outz macrumors 6502

i get weird flickering on my ipad 2 camera usually when recording bright objects like lights etc, but havent noticed it on my 4s yet.

4. Gunner86 thread starter macrumors member

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

It's possibly your lighting. Some types of lights (especially the energy saving ones) actually flicker so fast that you can't see it, but a camera will often pick it up. I did notice this with my 4s once, never noticed it with my 4 or 3gs (or iPad 2 for that matter), and this was in the room where I do a LOT of testing with camera apps.

If you see it happen again, try turning the light off (if it's not dark) or move to another place.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

No, I have not had this problem.

Now quit bumping your own threads...it's very annoying.

7. Gunner86 thread starter macrumors member

I'll bump my thread if i feel like it, don't like it don't post it's as easy as that. I bet if you had problems with your camera on a phone you paid close to 1000$ for (bought unlocked from apple) you to would want to know if you should send it back, now go troll someone else.

8. dotme macrumors 6502a

9. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Me too, as per the link above in dotme's post.

I was beginning to think we were the only two people with the issue!

I get the feeling its more widespread however the front facing camera is a lesser used feature of the iPhone 4S so maybe people have it and havent noticed it yet?

10. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I have just spoken with Apple support and they too agree it doesnt sound like a hardware issue based on the fact that the front facing camera works perfectly in the Camera + app.

If any of you have that app I suggest you try it for yourself and you will see that the camera operates perfectly. As in 100% perfectly, as opposed to the terrible behaviour via the standard camera app.

Apple suggested I first try 'restore all settings', now having worked as an IT technician for 11 years I was sceptical but appreciate that you have to run through diagnostics from start to finish in a certain order. I have done this and chose to restore from my latest iCloud backup and first impressions suggest that it might now be working fine in the camera app as well.

I'll update if it goes back to being a flickering mess, but for now at least it seems to be okay.