Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Exactly, they'll repair it, not swap it out, and most stores don't have repair facilities so they will send your phone off.

Not always. That's the point.

Anyway, I looked at the link in your sig and that's truly shocking. My nephew has ASD and thankfully our government and educational system are starting to take it a hell of a lot more seriously than they did. These so called 'charities' seem more interested in feathering their own nests.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
Anyway, I looked at the link in your sig and that's truly shocking. My nephew has ASD and thankfully our government and educational system are starting to take it a hell of a lot more seriously than they did. These so called 'charities' seem more interested in feathering their own nests.

Yeah they're horrible, take a look at the facts on the Facebook group too (the "even more reasons" link).

I myself have Asperger's and I know a number of people who either also have Asperger's or classic autism and I can tell you that everything Autism Speaks says is a lie, and no one on the autistic spectrum who I know wants to be cured either. Even the majority of "low functioning" autistic people disagree with Autism Speaks.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It depends on your warranty and the fault. From CPW's website:

And from Nokia's website:

Most simple repairs are done there and then, if it's repairable they'll send it off and if it's fundamentally goosed they'll give you a new one. Note Nokia give you 24 months. Apple give you 12.

Apple are pretty good with hardware fault repair - one of the reasons why customer satisfaction is high - but your assumption that you have to send the phone away or that it'll come back worse for Nokias is a bit off the mark.

Nokia gives you 24 months within the European Union. That's a EU thing, not an Apple thing. Here we have 24 months warranty on Apple stuff too.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
What about the people who don't live near an Apple Store or who live in countries where there is no Apple Store at all?

Here we don't have Apple Stores. For Mac repairs we have Apple authorized retailers, for iPhone if something goes wrong with it I take it to my carrier and they deal with it.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Nokia gives you 24 months within the European Union. That's a EU thing, not an Apple thing. Here we have 24 months warranty on Apple stuff too.

Yup. fair point.

I myself have Asperger's and I know a number of people who either also have Asperger's or classic autism and I can tell you that everything Autism Speaks says is a lie, and no one on the autistic spectrum who I know wants to be cured either. Even the majority of "low functioning" autistic people disagree with Autism Speaks.

My brother has Asperger's (he and my nephew aren't related as my nephew is on wife's side which makes you wonder how prevalent these conditions really are - I suspect a lot more than the official figures would tell you). He only found out about it when he underwent an evaluation after a bad car crash that gave him some pretty bad head trauma. When we talked it through we figured it explained a lot about how he was growing up (a bull in a china shop is an understatement). I should point out that he's an offshore medic in charge of the well being of oil platform or pipe laying vessel crew which is a pretty responsible job. So much for the dumbass theories that people with Asperger's or ASD would always struggle!

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
My brother has Asperger's (he and my nephew aren't related as my nephew is on wife's side which makes you wonder how prevalent these conditions really are - I suspect a lot more than the official figures would tell you). He only found out about it when he underwent an evaluation after a bad car crash that gave him some pretty bad head trauma. When we talked it through we figured it explained a lot about how he was growing up (a bull in a china shop is an understatement). I should point out that he's an offshore medic in charge of the well being of oil platform or pipe laying vessel crew which is a pretty responsible job. So much for the dumbass theories that people with Asperger's or ASD would always struggle!

Yup we can do lots of things. Bill Gates supposidly has AS (and people who know him confirmed he has a lot of traits so it's quite probable), and Albert Einstein was meant to have had it too (again, was reported to have displayed many traits), though of course we'll never know for certain about Einstein.

I personally have 2 GCSEs one year early and am very good at IT and business, along with English and Science (which are the subjects I got GCSEs in). Useless, am I, Autism Speaks?

The condition is actually quite common, but more so in males than females. Apparently there's 4 autistic males for every 1 female on avarage. Bad news for me and other males on the spectrum :p

HelloMarissa

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Under your bed
I do think Apple is overhyped, but they are my favorite. I just don't like Windows; my experiences with them [especially Dell] have not been pleasant.
Also, Apple knows how to market, there's no denying that. They are definitely geniuses [no pun intended] when it comes to design, advertising, etc.

Maccin475

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Apple is a great company, even when they go wrong!

My 3G became faulty after a few months of owning it. This annoyed me a bit, but it's a possibility of any product. Now, if it had been a Nokia, I'd have had to send it off to get it repaired, wait a week or two, then get my phone back more broken than when I sent it in (Nokia has a very bad reputation for their "care centers" that deal with broken phones), but as it was a iPhone I just brought it back to the Apple Store and got a fresh brand new perfect one!QUOTE]

I'm guessing that you're talking about Nokia's customer service in the US?

I agree that their care centers are horrible in the US, but they have some of the best customer service centers in South-East Asia (I shuttle in and out of Hong Kong quite a bit). Nokia is the worldwide leader in mobile phone sales, just really crappy in the North American market.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
Apple is a great company, even when they go wrong!

My 3G became faulty after a few months of owning it. This annoyed me a bit, but it's a possibility of any product. Now, if it had been a Nokia, I'd have had to send it off to get it repaired, wait a week or two, then get my phone back more broken than when I sent it in (Nokia has a very bad reputation for their "care centers" that deal with broken phones), but as it was a iPhone I just brought it back to the Apple Store and got a fresh brand new perfect one!

I'm guessing that you're talking about Nokia's customer service in the US?

I agree that their care centers are horrible in the US, but they have some of the best customer service centers in South-East Asia (I shuttle in and out of Hong Kong quite a bit). Nokia is the worldwide leader in mobile phone sales, just really crappy in the North American market.

I'm not talking about the US, I'm talking about the UK, though I'm sure they're crap in America too.

Maccin475

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I'm not talking about the US, I'm talking about the UK, though I'm sure they're crap in America too.

They're crappy in markets where CDMA is the primary network/coverage. They're pretty darn amazing in the GSM sectors. My bad about assuming you were in the US.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
They're crappy in markets where CDMA is the primary network/coverage. They're pretty darn amazing in the GSM sectors. My bad about assuming you were in the US.

Here in the UK, there is no CDMA, only GSM, EDGE, UMTS, etc., and they're not that fantastic here either.

I guess, though, in Asia people buy new gadgets a lot more (from what I gather from a documentary I watched anyway), so Nokia invest more money there.

Maccin475

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Here in the UK, there is no CDMA, only GSM, EDGE, UMTS, etc., and they're not that fantastic here either.

I guess, though, in Asia people buy new gadgets a lot more (from what I gather from a documentary I watched anyway), so Nokia invest more money there.

You're right about people buying gadgets more frequently in Asia.

Jongho

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
Apple's not bad

I think apple isn't too bad. The only downside I have with them is the expensive price!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

In America, if you have a problem, you just walk into the nearest wireless store (Verizon store, AT&T store, Sprint store, etc) and they'll either fix you up good, or you can call customer support and get it fixed. No one deals with the manufacturers in America, because we buy our phones every 2 years direct from the carrier.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
Apple is first and foremost a public company that must provide a return on investment to shareholders.

As a result, Apple has shifted focus to consumers... an area largely ignored by computer companies who otherwise rebrand corporate products to appeal to consumers. Apple is not just ipods and iphones... but consumer products. How many laptops have been sold because someone first bought an ipod or iphone and fell in love with it? A LOT!!!

How many average-joe consumers buy a clunky old desktop computer any more?

If anyone asks me to recommend a PC or help them buy a computer, I always say, "Get a laptop"... you get everything you would in a desktop now a days with portability to boot.

Apple's growth in the consumer space is good... it means more product refreshes and more choice as they diversify the lineup. The Macbook Air has had two refreshes since it was introduced just over a year ago! The 30" ACD has not had a refresh in 5 years because it's not a consumer product.

As for premium pricing... there is a strategy behind that as well... and it goes back to their fundamental reason for being... to make money. With just 10% of the computer market share compared to Dell and HP which own the other 80-90%, Apple actually brings in more profit than both of those two combined! :eek: There's no money to be made selling junk computers for $500-$1000.

Apple will never own the corporate IT desktop or the bargain basement PC market, but they can (and do) own the premium consumer space... and that's a good space to be in as share prices indicate.

lol are you kidding me? tons of people obviously still buy desktops.

the macbook air is the biggest rip off on the entire apple product line. i doubt any mac enthusiast would deny this.

your logic for 'premium pricing' makes absolutely no sense. are you saying apple is the only computer company that is out to 'make money'???? besides, you realize apple makes a ton of money because they are selling you overpriced products right? its hilarious when a computer company's top appeal is not their products but their ability to advertise.

Apple Genius

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
This thread is hilarious. People always take the side of the underdog until they start winning.

I personally don't like Apple or any other corporation. Love for a corporation is to worshiping money. Companies like McDonalds spend millions of dollars putting a friendly face :D on accounting. Hidden behind that "Hello ;)" is a dollar generating machine that would slaughter an entire village if they could get away with it and profit from it. I seriously urge you people to educate yourself to exactly what entails a corporation before blindly endorsing the corporation machine, whether it be Apple, Mattel or Disney. People that do so, sound like baffons.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
I have a love hate relationship with Apple. But dont we all? I love and hate both Microsoft. But I love Apple enough to use their computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.