Anybody else hesitating to say farewell to Appleworks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwp333, Aug 29, 2009.

1. jwp333 macrumors member

I just installed Snow Leopard yesterday without Rosetta. Afterwards, I was going through my apps file throwing out old apps, but for some reason hesitated over Appleworks. I don't use it anymore, but I got it with my first Mac. Anybody else keeping an old copy of Appleworks on Snow Leopard?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny you mention that, someone sent me a resume with a cwk file extension and I had to giggle. He is on an eMac though so that could explain things.

It is time to say goodbye, adopt iWork or Open Office ... Office if you must. ;)

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I installed Rosetta just for AppleWorks & it works fine. I rarely use AppleWorks any more, but I've not migrated to a new database app yet, so I keep it.

I understand that if you launch an app that requires Rosetta, SL will tell you that you need to install it.

4. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I don't use Appleworks for word-processing or spreadsheet stuff, but I've yet to find a drawing and/or painting app to replace it. Yes, I've tried Paintbrush, no thank you. AW has more tools for d&p than Paintbrush, and it doesn't crash as much.

5. Gamoe macrumors regular

Coincidentally, just today, I fired up Pages to write my own resumé. I didn't like dealing with Pages, and Open Office is so ugly... I fired up AppleWork, saved it as a PDF and sent it that way.

Of course, I do have Pages 1.0.2. Maybe Pages '09 is much better to deal with, and I realize I need to give up AppleWorks soon. But I'll be installing Rosetta mainly for AppleWorks once my Snow Leopard copy comes in tomorrow. I have many files in AppleWorks and I need to export them before I say goodbye.

I also made a lot of fun paintings with AppleWorks with my first Mac, when it was still ClarisWorks. Memories...

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Ha, iWorks for sure, MS Office perhaps, but NEVER NEVER NEVER OpenOffice... it's a pig.

7. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic