Anybody else notice this with the trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x-evil-x, Nov 16, 2016.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Ive had the 15" for a day now and ever time i look down at where I'm using the trackpad its still in the same area as the old one. The size difference and using it of center will take getting used to. basically anywhere you're touching now is trackpad.

2. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there are only a few gestures that will even take advantage of such a large trackpad. Sometimes Apple comes up with design that really no one ever wanted and this new larger trackpad is one such design IMHO. Apple already had the industry leader in trackpads and I don't remember ever reading anyone asking for a larger one. I'm sure when mine arrives I'll be in the same boat and only using the centre area also. I have no issues with the size of the current one and my palms rest nicely on the aluminum with the old design and I'm guessing with the new one I'll be half on and half off the trackpad with my palms. That only has the potential for issues, not solutions.

3. theitsage macrumors 6502a

I observed older people who tried a typical trackpad for the first time. It was a real challenge for them.

If you approach the new trackpad as a beginner, two hand use is probably the reason Apple made it so big.

4. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

It is nice to have honestly and touching it while typing does not give issues either. Just a learning curve that you can basicallly not move your hands from anywhere on the laptop and still have control.

5. shareef777 macrumors 68010

shareef777

I think this is a stepping stone for an Apple Pencil enabled trackpad. I'm willing to be that the next revision will intro Pencil support, and that's where it become beneficial to have a larger surface area.

6. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

I am still skeptical as to how you can use a pencil on a trackpad while staring at the screen, when you need to move mouse from point a to point b, how will the screen track the pointer of the pencil?

I understand pencil working on a screen, but don't see how it could possibly work well like this. Unless you somehow got a sensor which tracks the pencil while it is lifted off the trackpad and the screen moves the cursors without "inking". I don't see it personally happening - I think they will reserve that for the iPad Pro.

7. shareef777 macrumors 68010

shareef777

I'll work the same exact way as the Wacom tablets work. The touchpad will be updated to sense the pencil, and as you stated, move the cursor when hovering over the touchpad.

8. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

It's the only possible reason for the otherwise redundantly oversized pad.

It baffles me this wasn't a thing at launch. Of course, you couldn't charge it...

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't know. I have had the rMB with the larger trackpad for 18 months or so and it is always appreciated. And yet I still notice how much nicer it is to use my stand-alone trackpad on my iMac that is larger still. Makes sense to me they'd make it as large as possible.