Anybody else predict an iPad promo coming this summer?

mrat93

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
This summer, Apple is going to be pushing the new iPad HARD towards students.

Previously, they'd offer either a new iPod, or more recently, a $100 iTunes/iBooks/App Store gift card with the purchase of a new Mac. However, this summer, textbook publishers are going to have tons of textbooks in the iBooks store, essentially giving (most) students almost everything they would need on one device in lieu of a computer.

My guess would be either another gift card promo, probably $100. That'd pay for the entire iWork suite ($30), iLife suite ($15), and then leave $55 leftover for textbooks, movies, apps, etc.

Other possible promos could include a free printer promo (which they recently discontinued for new Mac purchases), or discounted accessory bundles.

Any thoughts?

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
If you are looking for Ipad promotion, you should try to track the Ipad sales figure. if it sell well, you won't see any promotion for a long long time. if it sale poorly then you will see all kind of promotion trying to boost the sales. Apple is just like any other retailer, they will only promote mechandize that don't sell well..

eagecl

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Just ordered a new MBAir through the education store and got the $100 promotion!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
sounds more like a wish than a prediction.

apple hasn't included an ipad in the student program for two years, i don't see why they'd start doing it now. and on top of that, an actual computer, laptop preferably, would probably be a more productive tool for a student anyway. and yes, i know that the ipad can be very useful, but if a student doesn't have a decent computer nowadays, he/she is at a disadvantage in many ways.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

apple hasn't included an ipad in the student program for two years, i don't see why they'd start doing it now. and on top of that, an actual computer, laptop preferably, would probably be a more productive tool for a student anyway. and yes, i know that the ipad can be very useful, but if a student doesn't have a decent computer nowadays, he/she is at a disadvantage in many ways.
Apple's offering a $50 iTunes card with iPad educational purchases.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?aid=aic-aos-naus-sea-bts-june2012-homepage

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

Previously, they'd offer either a new iPod, or more recently, a $100 iTunes/iBooks/App Store gift card with the purchase of a new Mac. However, this summer, textbook publishers are going to have tons of textbooks in the iBooks store, essentially giving (most) students almost everything they would need on one device in lieu of a computer.

My guess would be either another gift card promo, probably $100. That'd pay for the entire iWork suite ($30), iLife suite ($15), and then leave $55 leftover for textbooks, movies, apps, etc.

Other possible promos could include a free printer promo (which they recently discontinued for new Mac purchases), or discounted accessory bundles.

Any thoughts?
reptar the seer was right. hip hip hooray!!

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
except that this is not what the OP had in mind.

he wants to be able to buy an ipad at the discounted rate, not buy an ipad and get a $50 gift card.
Really? He was speculating about "another gift card promo" so this seems to be in line with that?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1383470

mac rumors actually announced they are doing that an hour before you posted he was "wrong" ;)