Anybody else really disappointed by the new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AlexxRyzhkov, Jun 18, 2014.

1. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

So Apple announced the new iMac for $1100
    The specs seemed kinda meh at first, but then I thought about it, and realized that this iMac is even worse than a base model iMac, from 2011. Honestly I feel like apple is being really cheap, I mean come on, 4Gb of ram and a 500gb hard drive for $1100?? Not to mention the crappy
    Intel HD 5000 graphics. This iMac is even slower than the $900 MacBook Air.
    So I thought, why not just get a $150 monitor and a $900 MacBook Air? That way you get the better speed with the SSD, plus a portable laptop?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not everyone needs or wants an overly powerful machine. You don't need 8GB of ram and a quad core 2.4Ghz CPU to check your email with or surf news sites with. If that's the extent of what the end user is doing, there's no need to get anything more powerful. Then there's the education market. This is a great machine for it as it doesn't need to be powerful, as it will likely get replaced in a few years anyways.

3. janitor3 macrumors regular

I think it could be meant as the entry level to Mac so as Apple can discontinue the Mac mini. Hope not, I'll be looking for a new Mac mini probably before the end of the year.

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

The two products don't appeal to the same user, so that won't happen.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not my cup of tea, but I can see how this is a good move by apple.

6. AlexxRyzhkov thread starter macrumors regular

$1100 is a bit too much for an "entry level machine". If you want a PC just to surf the web, than a Mac Mini, or even a cheap all in one would be better. Honesty I feel like this IMac should be more like $800 for these kind of specs.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iMacs are popular in the education market because of their all in one design. It's only less thing to plug in and move around when compared to a typical tower/box design like the Mac Mini. Some people want the all in one design and want to run Mac OS X, but don't want all the wasted power. A generic Dell or HP all is one doesn't fit because it doesn't run OS X. A Mac Mini doesn't fit because it isn't an all in one design. You have to think beyond your wants and see the world from others perspectives to be able to know why they want it. The price of this machine is set where it is because of how its built and the parts it contains. The LCD panel alone pushes the cost up a few hundred dollars, then there's licensing fees, shipping charges, manufacturing costs, labor payments, designing costs, software costs, supply chain costs, and so many more little tiny costs that all total up to be what they are sold at. I'd expect the raw pre-tax profit margin on these is rather low.

8. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

It actually does come with 8GB of RAM as I was reading... Not 4.

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

With so many iMac option available, why all the negative comments. This is obviously for a specific market. If you are not part of that market, then look at the higher end iMac's or a Mac Pro.

A lot of people do not have $3,000-4,000 to spend on a high end iMac or even require that kind of power. Especially the school side of things. Schools would never need that.

I do not necessarily see this as bad, but as an approach into a different area of the market for Apple. Hope it works for them. Time will only tell.

10. iTiki macrumors 6502

The machine specs are fine for what it is. I just think $999. would have been the sweet spot for an entry level iMac, but I'm sure Apple has that all figured out and knows what they can get.

11. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i'm disappointed, not by entry level imac, but by the fact the other imacs in the lineup didn't get a speed bump and/or new nvidia graphics. come on apple

12. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The year is not over

13. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I'm surprised it comes with 8gb ram. Would've expected 4.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What new iMac?

It seems to just be the Educational configuration that is sold at $999 to schools.

It was like the "new" iPad that just came out and it was just the 4th gen one...

15. hologram macrumors 6502

There are always going to be people disappointed, no matter what Apple releases. I wanted this cheaper iMac to come with laser cannon. If the next-gen doesn't have them, I'll be disappointed again. Poor me! ;)

You can't please everyone.

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I don't really see the point of this machine. If someone wants a basic computer they are not going to spend $1,100.

Anyone who's willing to spend $1,100 to surf the web and check email can come over to my place...I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm selling...

17. aggri1 macrumors 6502

Ah well, at least when Apple is selling a model of computer which is relatively slow they have an incentive to keep the operating system relatively efficient, for some time. I have no other reason to be interested in this iMac.

18. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

I was hoping for an 880M and a slightly boosted processor.

Still, the refurb cost of the 27" with the i7, 780M and 3TB drive dropped to $2350 in the Canadian store.

Placed an order today, along with 32GB of RAM through Crucial. Will be selling the iMac in my profile and the original RAM from the new system once it is all set up.

19. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Am I disappointed? Not at all.

As others have pointed out, this iMac was not intended for me.

Does every Apple product have to appeal to everyone?

20. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I'm apathetic towards the new iMac. But it's a HUGE step down in performance for only an$200 price drop. They should either have given the low-cost iMac an even lower price (another $200 cheaper) or better specs. This dog won't hunt.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's not really a new iMac. It's more a low budget addition to lineup for people who want an iMac but want to get in at a lower price point or for emerging markets where the previous iMacs were really expensive.

22. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

This has the 8GB iPhone 5C written all over it. I understand why many people are justifying their disappointment by suggesting it's a smart business decision by Apple to target the educational and non-technical demographics. But until enough sales and revenue data are released, there's absolutely no way of knowing. I think they vastly overpriced the base 5C in India, and I think they've done the same with the new base iMac here.

I also keep reading about people saying how it's essential an Air with the nice screen and all-in-one factor. The whole selling point of the Air in my mind, is the insane portability (form factor/weight), and the blazing fast SSD. Neither of which the new iMac have.

23. chelch macrumors regular

We don't ship junk!

http://youtu.be/Yu0qeb_rJYU

The company I work for used to have someone like Steve at the top. When he passed in 2008 everything changed. People used to say "there isn't a better place to work." We used to have Christmas parties. We used to be proud of our products and services. We used to be a family.

All of that is gone.

It's obvious this is happening at Apple as well. I'm sad for their staff.

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

25. docprego macrumors 65816

Definitely in the education sector where they need large quantities of machines at the lowest price regardless of specs. But I can't see mainstream consumers seeing the value in saving $200 in exchange for a relatively anemic machine. Refurbs cost less and are MUCH more powerful.