Anybody else run into problems with the wifi autoconnect 'feature'???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I don't have a whole lot of complaints about the iphone, but this is honestly one of my biggest pet peeves.

My iphone will randomly grab wifi networks randomly without me wanting it to. Now that's not too bad... but it will do that even if they don't work. I don't really understand why not all wifi networks work but a lot of the time they will be messed up or have some sort of weird blocks, types, or restrictions.. I dunno. But what I DO know is that sometimes I try to access the internet, or my maps, or some internet using app, and i CAN'T use it because of some bogus wifi network my iphone decided to connect to!!

So after I realize what has happened i have to go and turn off wifi before I can do anything... a little frusterating...

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Quite frankly, no, I haven't.

The iPhone won't join a wireless network unless you tell it to, or unless it encounters a network that it's "remembered" and has the exact same SSID. This can be a problem if you've got yourself a home network that you haven't changed the SSID on (like "Linksys" or "netgear"). Your phone will then try to connect to every generic "linksys" or "netgear" out there.

The solution is to reset your network settings to forget the joined networks, and then change the SSIDs on the Wifi networks you do use to something more unique. You might even want to use a WEP or WPA password. This way your phone will be less likely to auto-join random networks, and if you go with the encryption, there's less chance that people will be randomly joining yours.