Anybody else setup OSX & VirtualBox to be redundant?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macwin32, Apr 9, 2011.

1. macwin32 macrumors newbie

Basically I installed everything I need under both OSX & Windows XP (inside VirtualBox). They both can use my printer, XP has cygwin installed, they both have text editors, word processors, web browsing, etc. Anything one can do, the other can too.

I like being able to use one or the other at my whim.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I can see that for Boot Camp, but it sounds less than ideal to use VirtualBox just for the heck of it. VMs are considerably slower than running an OS natively.

3. technopimp macrumors 6502a

That's not necessarily true, at least not anymore. I've actually had Windows 7 VMs that have benchmarked higher than on hardware (the same as the host hardware).

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Links/Images or we don't believe you.

5. VTMac macrumors 6502

The VMware forums have plenty of posts from VMware employees detailing exactly why there are no known benchmarks in existence that return accurate results when run inside a VM. I seriously doubt you have a VM that is faster than native hardware, assuming there are no issues with said hardware.
    In fact, I'm sure of it. Because it's impossible. If the VM was perfect, the performance would be exactly the same.

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

As I was saying. VTMac has taken his time to give you an in-depth response into why what you are saying is impossible.