Anybody else upgrading tomorrow? (12/12/09)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wacky4alanis, Dec 11, 2009.

  1. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2009
    12/12 is a very common upgrade eligibility date for people who bought the 3G the first day it was available. I know I am upgrading to the 3GS tomorrow! I'm guessing there won't be any lines, but it could be a pretty busy day at some stores.
  2. 2000m macrumors member


    Jul 17, 2008
    im using my upgrade to get my GF a 3gs tomorrow
  3. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816


    Jun 30, 2007
    Why not wait until June for the brand new model?
  4. Willis macrumors 68020


    Apr 23, 2006
    Beds, UK
    Yup, I'm waiting till June/July. Skipping the 3GS
  5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    I'm sorry but maybe I don't get it. If you bought a phone in June 2008 (3G) then your 2-year contract is not up until June 2010. No?

    In some cases you're likely to get an early upgrade in December, but it is not a given.

    Onto why you would bother right now ... well that is beyond me.
  6. wacky4alanis thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2009
    I want the 32 GB now! I am so out of disk space. I have to delete a song every time I add one LOL
  7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5


    Nov 20, 2008
    Ventura County
    You can upgrade at 18-20 months in that contract in you renew it for another 2 years.

    I upgraded my 3G to the 3GS last month because I am the primary on my account and I was eligible after only 1 year of the 2 year contract. I'm so glad I did it is really worth it, I use all the features almost daily. I rather get the new device now and have it for 6-7 months than waiting for a new model, in which we don't even know what is going to be done to it.
  8. -aggie- macrumors P6


    Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    If you waited this long, you might as well wait until June.
  9. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a


    Aug 12, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    For most people who bought the 3G when it came out, their actual contracts last until July 11, 2010. However, the upgrade eligibility date is different from the contract expiration date. AT&T allows people paying a certain amount per month to upgrade a few months early. In this case, December 12, 2009 is the early upgrade date (18 months).
  10. wacky4alanis thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2009
    Also - if I absolutely HAVE to have some feature of the iPhone that comes out next year, I can always add another line to the account to get it. 2 members of my family are still on Verizon, and both of their contracts will be up by then. And they are both happy with regular phones. Sooo... that combined with my immediate need for more space means I am ready to upgrade now!
  11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

    Jan 26, 2008
    You can really upgrade any time you want. Simply sell your 3G on E-Bay and use the money to pay for the new phone. I've done this twice now and paid very little out of my pocket.
  12. thelatinist macrumors 603


    Aug 15, 2009
    Connecticut, USA
    That's precisely my plan if next summer brings a must-have update. An untethered 3GS will fetch top dollar by then.
  13. mnpackerfan macrumors newbie

    Dec 22, 2007
    I've been debating this for a while, wait for the next iPhone or get the 3Gs, which I know I'll be happy with. If only the 3Gs had 64 GB, I probably would have paid the early upgrade price and bought it when it came out. My 3G has a couple cracks on it that are getting bigger (my fault from dropping it, will use a case from now on!)

    I've been checking and was upgrade eligible on 12/12, but I just checked AT&T's website and Apple's, and both list the price of a 32GB 3Gs at $299, so it looks like I'm eligible today! I think I'll stop by my nearest Apple Store after work and hopefully I will get one for $299 tonight. Everyone else may want to check their upgrade eligibility, I'll let you know what happens later tonight.
  14. mnpackerfan macrumors newbie

    Dec 22, 2007
    I doubt anyone's going to pick one up tonight, but I stopped at the Apple store and upgraded to the 3GS without a hitch, in and out of the store in 10 minutes. To those of you about to upgrade, it's wicked fast! At least for what I use it for, in comparison to the 3G. Very happy
  15. MrBorsa macrumors newbie

    Nov 15, 2009
  16. digbyp macrumors regular

    Jul 10, 2008
    In UK, on O2 - my 18 month contract is up Jan 2010, but have just upgraded to the new iPhome Simplicity 20 deal. That is £20 p/m for what I used to get for £35 and is on a 30 day contract - result.

    No, not really happy with O2 3G, but come June, will have the choice of O2, Vodafone, Orange and Tesco and anyone else who comes onboard by then

    So will be waiting until June, get new phone and sell old one!
  17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Sep 12, 2009
    I will skip the 4th. generation (if I can resist it.. :p). Don't know why, want to save some more money I guess.

    And I also think 2010 is just going to be 'the year'. I think a lot of new technology will be found out, and at the earliest these improvements of 2010 will be added in the 2011-version. Next to that I've already got the 3Gs with a 2-year contract (even though I can upgrade as early as I want to, paying off the months or maybe I can let someone take over :p).

    But it's not just better technology. I think the competition is getting better and better and that there can be better phones out there. We'll see, but for now I'll skip the 4th. generation of the iPhone (and I won't upgrade to the 3Gs because I already got the 3Gs).
  18. djstarrock macrumors 6502a


    Nov 23, 2006
    UK, Scotland, Glasgow
    Tesco is O2.
  19. 226896 Guest

    Sep 13, 2008
    Holy crap, I didn't realise I could upgrade until I read this thread! Thanks OP, I will be upgrading to the 3GS tomorrow.
  20. Internaut macrumors 6502a

    It's worth the upgrade......

    We occasionally have to test a certain application so I'm fairly familiar with the basic iPhone 3G. Now I've bought my iPhone (a 32 GB 3GS - I resisted for a long time because I'm no fan of Apple control freakery), I'm happy to say the improvements are nice and well worth the upgrade if you've been carrying around an iPhone for a couple of years. The 3GS is the most completely responsive smart phone I've encountered (and I've used, Windows and Symbian devices from the get go).
  21. Cask Guest

    Jul 14, 2008
    Why do people insist on waiting on something that is at least SEVEN months away?!?!?! In the worse case scenario you can always sell your 3GS next June, and if it is in good condition you'll get enough to almost cover AT&T's early upgrade price!
  22. firstapple macrumors 6502a


    Sep 25, 2007
    With the competition that is now out (Droid specifically) the next gen iPhone will need to be good to keep people from going to Verizon. I currently have the 3GS since launch, but at this point I cannot wait until the next revision. The 3GS adds some nice new features and is much faster, but the next gen will be even faster... At this point I would have to say wait until next June.
  23. skye12 macrumors 65816


    Nov 11, 2006
    Austin, Tx
    Wait for this summer's model. Likely to be a big step up with
    multiple processors etc.
  24. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

    Jul 16, 2008
    Maybe because some people don't have a sickness where they need to upgrade everything in their lives continually and are perfectly content with their 3G model which is 95% as good?

    I wouldn't take advantage of the 3GS improvements at all. I have several friends with 3GS models and I've played with them plenty. I can wait the extra 1/4 second for my SMS or email apps to open, and I can wait until June/July to upgrade despite being eligible today.

    Let's say Apple does with the 3GS what it did with the 3G come this summer, meaning the 16GB 3GS model will still be available for sale at a reduced price of $99. If one buys a 3GS today for $199, they could probably sell it for $250 once the flood of 3GS models hit eBay when the new 4G phone comes out next summer - particularly if Apple still sells the 3GS for a reduced price. Now let's say the early upgrade price for the lower capacity 4G model will be $399. That's still an additional $150 expenditure 7 months from now and that's not worth it for everyone. I can personally wait.

    -200 for 3GS now
    +250 to sell it used in summer 2010 if Apple continues to sell it for a reduced price of $99
    = +50
    -400 for early upgrade
    = -350 poorer than I am today.

    I would personally rather only be $200 poorer instead of $350 poorer if I get no real benefit in the 3G>3GS upgrade. The 4G should hopefully be a much bigger upgrade than the 3GS was. Maybe not, but I won't feel compelled to upgrade then either just because I can.
  25. 2000m macrumors member


    Jul 17, 2008
    i sold my 3g in like new condition for $520 about 1 month after the 3gs release... i expect to sell my 32gig 3gs in like new condition for the same amount....your price of $250 is way off

Share This Page