Anybody else use VNC for remote login?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by gsahli, Nov 1, 2014.

1. gsahli, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Upgraded my late 2012 mini to Yosemite. I keep this Mac in the basement and only use it via VNC (something like Back to my Mac screen sharing) - that is, it is headless (no monitor, no keyboard attached).
    I can connect OK - about the same as Mavericks - but it is unusable because the Finder windows for all folders _Except_ Applications are "empty" - no files visible.
    There are also some screen artifacts, like mouse cursor leaving a shadow trail.

Anyone else use their Mac like this - and have same issues?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've long stopped using VNC and have opted for gotomypc, there's also TeamViewer that are better, faster and in TeamViewer's case free. I'd recommend you look into that option.

3. gsahli, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

gsahli thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Thanks - it's not the client (I'm using a couple of them on linux) that I'm having trouble with - it's Yosemite remote login server/window server/Finder.

But I'll try Teamviewer

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Interesting. I've been using vnc on mavericks between home and work Macs, and haven't seen any issues.

5. gsahli thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsahli

So you haven't tried VNC on Yosemite? I've had to restore Mavericks because I couldn't use Yosemite _in my situation_.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

SOrry, I meant Yosemite. It's working fine for me.

7. gsahli thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Oh, good - that is what I'm after - some kind of confirmation that I just had a bad install of Yosemite - maybe.

What VNC client(s) have you tried (I prefer remmina - gnome on ubuntu)?

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, Remmina is what I use as well. There doesn't seem to be many VNC clients on Ubuntu that properly handle the encrypion that OS X requires.

9. gsahli thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Thank you very much!
    I'll be trying to install Yosemite again!

10. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Why should I use a service like gotomypc to access a computer on my LAN? Remote Desktop / screen share on Mac is junk. Is it some fundamental issue with FreeBSD or is Apple just not interested in a better user experience? Certainly they'd like people to own multiple Macs :)

Microsoft has a couple options for accessing Windows from Mac and they work great.

Am I missing something? Any other suggestions?

11. gsahli thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I agree with you. I haven't looked at gotomypc, and Teamviewer is serious overkill for "I'm upstairs and I want to control my headless Mac in the basement."
    From my other mac (not headless), I use Chicken of the VNC.

12. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

I know I'm missing something here, so forgive the stupid question:

Why not just use built-in sharing functions/settings since machine is on LAN?

13. gsahli thread starter macrumors 6502a

gsahli

My primary OS is linux. I keep a Mac (OK, 2: 1 2012 mini and 1 PPC MDD) for specific old or expensive apps. The Macs are in the basement. Screen sharing/remote login services on the Macs support connections from VNC clients. I didn't install anything on the 2 Macs to use these sharing services.