anybody ever done a battery replacement?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by stealthsniper96, Jan 21, 2008.

1. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

i think the battery in my 5th gen video is goin up (i didnt take real good care of it) and i was wonderin if anybody else had ever done the replacement or even had the thing open b4 and how easy/hard it was?

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Seems like kits are available, that come with tools to open the iPod safely.

But alas, I have not done this, so it is merely speculation.

3. theknightshift macrumors newbie

I would especially like to know about this in regards to the iPod classic.

Apparently the classic was purposely designed by Apple to NOT be easily fixed by owners/third-party replacement services.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've done a battery replacement in both a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen. They are really straight-forward. The most time consuming part is taking the case off. The 3rd Gen took me awhile, but the 2nd Gen I was done with in a matter of minutes.

I can't speak to the other generations of iPods, but I personally wouldn't feel the least bit uncomfortable giving them a go.

5. Dino451 macrumors 6502

http://www.ipodjuice.com/

made it very easy to do and they give good instructions. Also good customer service from a real person.

My experience with my 5th gen Ipod was it was tough getting the casing off and be very careful with the battery connector on the logic board. As long as you are patient and willing to put up a few minor scratches then go for it.

6. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Done it with my 3G, similar story. Bit of a swine to convince the case to open at first, and it probably won't remain pristine but not too difficult. Be careful with any connectors... e.g. don't pull them off by the ribbon cable.