Anybody ever drop a watch with sapphire display?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I saw an interesting YouTube video by UBreakiFixCo that compared sapphire vs Gorilla Glass although it was in terms of iPhone usage, not in a watch. It showed that sapphire was more scratch resistant and stronger than GG, but has less flexibility (bend) than GG. They said strength and flexibility both important in shatter resistance and concluded that sapphire and GG are both about the same in that regard. The video showed when GG hit its breaking point it would shatter into a million pieces, while when sapphire hit its breaking point it broke into only 10 big pieces.

Anyway, for those you who have dropped a watch with sapphire on the ground outside, did anything break? I read that sapphire would likely chip, not break. Analog watches have a bezel to help protect the sapphire, but on the Apple Watch there's no bezel to help protect the display.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

If dropped at the wrong angle, sapphire will shatter. However, I had a watch with a sapphire crystal for 10 years. Eventually the watch mechanics gave out, but the crystal was fine. It didn't have much of a bezel (it was a Movado Museum watch). Remember, this is strapped to your wrist, so you are much less likely to drop it. You might get bumped into, or accidentally swing your arm into something, but those don't have as much force.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Due to the hardness of sapphire it will shatter for sure. I broke the sapphire face on my Rolex and it cost $700+ to replace it. I get the watched buffed out each year to get rid of the scratches but the sapphire face has never been scratched but it did break.

This happens very rarely.

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Yes, but I was lucky enough that it did not break. My mechanicals have sapphire crystals, and it's pretty amazing stuff. I have bumped them on steel, concrete block, and just about everything else and they just do not scratch.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Nope. I can't say I've ever dropped a watch...it's only in my hands for about 5 seconds when I put it on, and 5 seconds when I take it off. :cool:

6. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

I've dropped one of my watches with a sapphire crystal twice (or more accurately my daughter has knock it off a side table twice - 2.5' fall). It didn't crack either time. I've probably been pretty lucky.

7. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

That's a lot of buffing. Do you do a light buff? How are the edges holding up? (Sorry, just the WIS in me)

I just leave the scratches in and do not buff at all. I wanted to preserve the corners as much as I can.

I do however plan on buffing it out before I pass on my Rolex's to my sons.

8. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I have dropped my watch quite a few times over 20 years of ownership. Most drops are from about 1m in height with one drop going down a flight of stairs!

I have never had the sapphire face get scratched let alone shatter.

The difference though is the sapphire face on a traditional watch is usually encased in steel and is recessed. With the Apple Watch the sapphire face is more exposed (and hence more likely to get scratched and take knocks).

9. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Yes, I've had sapphire faced watches (Tag, Omega, Weil) and must have dropped them from time to time; never a smash. I did chip my Tag Monaco - caught it on an edge and the face is not flush, so it chipped. But my Planet Ocean gets a daily battering and the face looks like new.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I'd worry more about the ceramic back, much more likely to break if you drop it.

The other good thing the watch has going for it, it's lite.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is done professionally by the Rolex dealer. It comes back looking like new. Once a year is just right for me. Other may do more or less often.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've dropped my ceramic cased watch that's got a sapphire crystal face a few times and it's still in one piece. :)

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Your lucky. Saw a thread where a bloke dropped his omega dark side of the moon, $9k damage.

It's the only thing that concerns me about my ceramic models. Touch wood I never drop mine .

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Hopefully I won't drop it again, it's been about 15 years since the last time.

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Maybe old school ceramic was toughter :)

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It was definitely cheaper than that Omega. :D