Anybody feel the password lock is inadequate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kiirk, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Kiirk macrumors member

I don't normally use password locks on my iPods / previous phones.

However a £600 piece of kit, with the potential for FRAPE, password lock will be used.

However I have two main problems,

1. Vulnerable to a DFU restore.
    2. Can be turned off WITHOUT pin.

With all this tracking software, it seems kind of pointless, that it can be rendered useless by just turning it off, or DFU into it.

Yes, I know this isn't apple I'm talking to, so don't tell me I'm telling the wrong people, but I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Options.

1. Option to choose PIN required to turn off.
    2. Sort out the DFU mess - DFU only to existing computer.

2. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I feel it is adequate. It is designed to protect your private data in the event your phone is lost or stolen. I have mine set up to destroy all info after 10 failed attempts. I also make it a point to never let my phone leave my sight. It is always with me.

3. fm2503 macrumors member

fm2503

+1 the point is it protects your data - not the device

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yep, the Password lock is just there to protect the customer's data by preventing access to the data. However, the physical rule applies if someone has physical access to your device there is always some risk of data loss to a determined hacker or thief. However, most don't really care about your data and only want the "high" value phone. :(

For example: the battery can run down preventing any tracking feature to work or the Micro SIM can be removed, preventing any tracking features. Most tracking tools are really for misplaced devices and not for recovering stolen or lost devices. :eek:

Dave

5. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Can't people just put the phone in DFU mode to reset the device? Well, it does protect your personal data, but in general, the thief just wants the phone.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

As said above, if a thief physically has a device, then you are S.O.L. The pin is just to make sure your contacts, email, etc. are safe. Pin lock does what it was designed to do, nothing more.